2 1/2 oz Desired cheese (read below)

9 1/2-inch hoagie roll

Fried onions

Additional Toppings:

Mushrooms, raw onions,

Sweet red & green peppers,

Pizza sauce, lettuce,

Tomato

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions:

At Olivieri Prince of Steaks in Philadelphia, chef/owner Rick Olivieri (third generation) tells us about the original.

"It all started in 1932 with my grandfather Pat.

He owned a small hot-dog stand but got tired of eating hot dogs every day, so he sent his brother around the corner for sliced steak.

He prepared it, slapped it into a hot-dog bun and was just about to eat it when a cabbie pulled up and said, 'Hey, that looks good.

' The rest, as they say, is history, part of which included the addition of cheese in the late 1940's, when they were looking to try something new.

" To make one cheese-steak sandwich, take the steak (Olivieri's recommended cut: the eye of the chuck) and slice it very thin.

Panfry in large skillet with no grease or oil, just enough water to moisten.

Right before it's done, top with desired cheese (American, provolone, mozzarella or Cheez Whiz) until melted.

Put meat and cheese on the hoagie roll, then top with fried onions.

Add additional toppings if desired.

Alright, obviously I've copped this recipe and to be completely honest I've never been 100% satisfied with hoagies I've made at home. I suspect I'm not slicing my steak thin enough (apparently it's best to do this while the steak is still frozen) and perhaps not including the HOagies House's secret ingredient (ketchup) has had an adverse effect but at least I have something to aspire to...

Anyone else have a little tip? I know booche makes em regularly.

(god i'm hungry)

35795qoca_w.jpg

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...

I make cheese steaks on a semi regular basis and the slicing of the meat is key. Also, if you have access to a griddle, I'd suggest you use that: reason being is that you can "pull" the meat apart with 2 spatulas while it's cooking. this makes for more surface area, and less biting into big chuncks of beef...a more consistant sandwich if you will. I use a prvolone and that seems to work out real nice like, but agian it's gotta be thin sliced. See thru thin, got it?

• 4 weeks later...

well we're doing up hoagies tonight (thanks mainly to a PT thread), we've ogt some nice old cheddar and i've yet to pick up the meat. think i'm going to get something good though, maybe one bigass steak for both of us

question- do youse guys not use any oil in the pan when cooking up the meat, as it says above? I'm planning on throwing garlic and spices in olive oil then throwing in the thinly sliced beef, a qcuik fry up then BOOM onto the bun wit cheese, into the oven then top it wit the onions and/or peppers

am i insane? :crazy:

Edited by Guest
whoops we're going to need some beer to go along with this

Instead of olive oil, you might use something with a lighter flavour, like soya or a generic vegetable oil. Even a non-fat cooking spray would work, giving you something that helps the sizzle but doesn't add any flavour to the meat.

Heck, if there's any amount of fat on the outside of the steak, you could trim it off, heat up the pan, put the fat in, let it melt a bit, and use that to fry the onions, garlic, and steak.

Aloha,

Brad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoagie

The hoagie is a kind of submarine sandwich. It generally consists of an elongated roll (called a "hoagie roll", similar to a baguette), oil, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, sweet or hot peppers, oregano and a selection of cold luncheon meats. Pickles or mayonnaise are not traditionally included. In many areas the default cheese on a Hoagie is Provolone, while in others it is white American cheese. Cheese-only hoagies (Provolone, American, or Mixed) replace the meat with extra slices of cheese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philly_Cheese_Steak

The cheesesteak, known outside the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area as the Philadelphia cheesesteak, Philly cheesesteak, or steak and cheese is a sandwich principally of sliced pieces of steak and one of three types of cheese. The cheesesteak is a comfort food for the natives of the Philadelphia region. It was invented in the city in 1930 and is considered to be a city icon along with other foods such as Tastykake and the Philadelphia soft pretzel.

Serves 4

24oz thin sliced rib eye or eye roll steak

6 table spoons of Soya bean oil

Cheese {we recommend Cheez Whiz®} American or Provolone works fine

4 crusty Italian Rolls

1 large Spanish onion

Optional

sweet green and red peppers sautéed in oil

Mushrooms sautéed in oil

Assembly

Heat an iron skillet or a non stick pan over medium heat

add3 table spoons of oil to the pan and sauté the onions to desired doneness

remove the onions

add the remaining oil and sauté the slices of meat quickly on both sides

melt the cheez Whiz® in a double boiler or in the microwave

place 6oz. of the meat into the rolls

add onions, and pour the Cheez Whiz® over top

garnish with hot or fried sweet peppers, mushrooms, ketchup

Put on the theme song to the first Rocky movie and enjoy!

Between Dinghys bday and this thread, I had to get a cheese steak for lunch. I had one over a year ago and now remember why it lasted this long before I got another one. While it isnt terrible, its simply not done right. There aint enough juicy beef or cheese, there is too much lettuce and they put italian dressing on it.

Blasphemy!

Part of me wants to sit down and have a chat with the management. Hmmmmmm, maybe I will DaveyBoy......maybe I will..........

Homer: Wait a minute. Is this the biggest steak you've got? Seventy-two ounces? I thought this was supposed to be a steakhouse, not a little girly, underpantsy, pink doily, tea-party place.

Waiter: Well, there is one steak that's available only by special request. We call it, uh, Sir Loin-A-Lot. It's, uh, the size of a boogie board.

Homer: Ooh, I'll have that one. And to drink ... meatballs.

Waiter: Very good, sir. [rings a triangle] Ladies and gentlemen, this brave man has accepted the Sir Loin-A-Lot challenge. He will pit his stomach against sixteen pounds of indomitable tenderloin.

[restaurant crowd applauds]

Homer:[to family] They like me because I'm brave.