Jambands.ca

Road to Moncton

Whitey

F*ck, the London Knights have looked great in their first two playoff games. Up 2-0 and scoring a ton of goals, I hope they can make it to Moncton to play the Wildcats. The first two games were penalty filled and this only benefits the Knights with their devasting power play. At least there is one good team to cheer for in Southwestern Ontario.

So the #1 ranked in the country Moncton Wildcats came out flat and lost game 1 to the lowly Victoriaville Tigres; then bouned back and hammered them 8-2 in game 2. Now they're coming home for games 3, 4 and 5 (it's one of those idiotic Away, Away, Home, Home, Home, Away, Home schedules).

Really though, les Remparts de Quebec are the team to beat IMO. They came into Moncton in the last month of the season and completely dominated. The Alex Radulov - Angelo Esposito combination is just incredible. Radulov can score like crazy (152 pts in 62 games) and Esposito is the best combination of size and skill at 16 years old that I've seen in major junior since Lindros.

Thanks for the update Dave-O. I don't get to hear much about the Q in Ontario, except for Moncton. I hope the Knights can win the OHL so we can see how they match up this year against the rest of the CHL. The Knights are amazing up front, but Matt Pelech was injured during last night's game and they had to put Rob Drummond(forward) on defense. This means that the Knights' best two d-men are forwards. Hopefully, Pelech will not be out for long. Have you been to any play-off games yet?

and Esposito is the best combination of size and skill at 16 years old that I've seen in major junior since Lindros.

Wait til you see Tavares from the Oshawa Generals. He tore up the OHL this year and he's only 15. He's not that big, but the kid is a freak. Our World Junior team looks good in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

So Moncton beat Halifax 7-0 and 5-0 this weekend to take a commanding 2-0 lead in their 2nd round series. Quebec continues to have very few problems as well.

What's happening in Ontario Whitey?

I found out I'll be sitting a few rows up from the visitors bench for all Memorial Cup games, so look for me on TV.

Jaimoe - the incredible thing about John Tavares is his birth date misses the cutoff for the 2008 draft by 5 days. He will have played 4 full seasons of major junior before the 2009 draft!!!

Dave-o, things are not going as planned. The Knights played an amazing game on Friday, beating the Attack 6-3. Then on Saturday they traveled to Owen Sound and got beat 5-3. It was a terrible lose because David Bolland decided to kick one of the Attack players and he was suspended for last night's game and the next 3. This is terrible for the Knights because Bolland plays over 30 minutes a game and he is one of their best penaly killers and power play guys(11 goals in 5 games). Then last night the Knights lost 4-3, giving up 2 goals on delayed penalties and a short handed goal. Next game is on Wednesday.

Guest Low Roller

Yup. Patrick Roy is co-owner, GM, and head coach and I would say he is doing a pretty bang up job.

Can a coaching stint in Montreal be far behind? Sadly yes.

I love their logo:

Quebecremparts.JPG

Moncton ended Halifax's season last night. The Q does an east west cross-over for the semi-finals, so it's going to be Moncton vs Gatineau (who upset the highly ranked Chicoutimi Sagueneens) and Quebec vs Acadie-Bathurst.

• 3 weeks later...

Round 4 and the winner between the Knights and the Petes heads to Moncton for the Memorial Cup. This should be an amazing series. Both teams finished first in their conference and the Knights beat the Petes twice in the regular season. Lots of amazing players on both teams and there is a lot of bad blood between these teams. It will be hopping at the JLC tonight!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Memorial Cup starts tonight!!

I had the pleasure of watching the Wildcats win the Q final at home on Sunday night. The building was insane, and for a team that was guaranteed a Mem Cup birth from day 1, those kids were ecstatic about winning the league championship.

I looked up my ticket stub earlier and it was May 9, 1985 that I saw the Soo Greyhounds win the OHL title over the Peterborough Petes. 21 years later I got to see Moncton win the Q. That's a long time to be following major junior hockey, I'm going to enjoy every minute of my first Memorial Cup experience.

All the games are on Sportsnet, look for the guy wearing the Soo Greyhounds jersey behind the visitors bench! ;)

Dave-O and Sean, have a great time tonight. I think this is going to be an amazing Memorial Cup. I don't know a whole lot about the other 3 teams, but Peterborough is a great team. Daniel Ryder was incredible in the 4 games I saw him play. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the games and the atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...