Jambands.ca

Veggie Mexican Lasagna

rubberdinghy

I made this up last night...took some ideas from multiple places...including my brain! it was awesome!

1 can diced tomatos

1 can black beans

1 small can corn

1 jalapeno pepper

1 onion diced

5 gloves of garlic minced

Fresh Cilantro, Garlic Tabasco, Cumin, Salt, Pepper all to taste.

Handful of Corn Chips

Monterey Jack CHEESE!

2 green onions sliced

1 tomato diced

8 flour tortillas

Take the first 7 ingredients and mix in a bowl, season to taste. Drain out all juice. Grease a deep baking dish with Veg Oil. Line bottom with 4 tortillas overlapping. Add half of bowl mixture. Top with cheese. Add another 4 tortillas, add rest of bowl mixture, top with cheese. Crush the corn chips, put on top of cheese, add a little more cheese, top with green onions and tomatos.

Bake 20-25 at 400 degrees...

DESTROY!

I like it, and offer two tips to make it better: First, drain the can of tomatoes through a mesh strainer before adding them in. Second, before you add the can of beans, dump them into a mesh strainer and rinse them in water to get rid of all the "sauce" that's in the can with them.

I wonder if adding a package of veggie ground round would make it better. I've often done burrito mix in a skillet using fresh plum tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, beans, veggie ground round, etc., and it adds quite a bit to the dish.

Aloha,

Brad

Second, before you add the can of beans, dump them into a mesh strainer and rinse them in water to get rid of all the "sauce" that's in the can with them.

Is there a reason for this or is it just personal preference? I make black bean soup and sometimes I rinse and sometimes I don't. My decision is usually completely random.

You are absolutely right brad...I had put everything in the bowl and realized it would turn into a soupy mess, with soggy tortillas, so I drained afterwards...and next time I plan on making it with ground beef...I'm not a fan of that veggie ground round. I made it for some veggie friends last night.

I don't think it matters Ollie...just a preference I guess.

Second' date=' before you add the can of beans, dump them into a mesh strainer and rinse them in water to get rid of all the "sauce" that's in the can with them.[/quote']

Is there a reason for this or is it just personal preference? I make black bean soup and sometimes I rinse and sometimes I don't. My decision is usually completely random.

I guess for soup it wouldn't matter much, and the sauce might add flavour. I find that for things like chili or burrito mix, the sauce is just a gooey/icky kind of thing. I like the flavour (and texture) of the beans, without the sauce. (Another exception might be cans of pork'n'beans, because the beans are already so mushy they're almost the same texture as the sauce. Tins of black or red [kidney] beans, though, can survive on their own without the sauce.)

Aloha,

Brad

I did a burrito thing tonight, a lot like the main filling given above: big skillet, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, 3 or 4 diced plum tomatoes, let it cook for a while, then add one can of black beans (rinsed) and a package of veggie ground round. Add a good amount of ground black pepper and hot sauce just before the end.

Then take 7" whole wheat tortillas, spoon the skillet mixture into the middle, add some cheese, fold up into a tube, poke through with a toothpick to hold it together, then place in the rack in the toaster oven, just on "toast" to crisp and melt everything.

Serve with a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon.

Mmmmmmm.....

Aloha,

Brad

I'm an omnivore. In fact, a lot of the meals I eat don't have meat in them, just because that's what I want to eat (for example, breakfast for me is usually toast + peanut butter, cereal + skim milk + banana).

I like the veggie ground round because it's reasonably high in protein, pretty low in fat, and is already cooked, so all I have to do is open the package, dump it in, and heat it through. You could do the burrito mix with ground beef, but you'd have to brown that in the skillet (or a different skillet) first, and drain off the fat, and for quick meal prep after work, that's a bit much for me.

Aloha,

Brad

• 1 year later...