Jambands.ca

Jack Johnson/Ben Harper T.O. Concert Review

Jaimoe

I was mildly disappointed with the Jack Johnson/Ben Harper show on Monday.

First with Jack Johnson:

I like Jack Johnson and his music. He's talented and produces consistently good albums with strong songwriting. However, on Monday night, none of his songs held my attention for more than a few moments. Why? Maybe it was my mood, or the vibe that finally getting through the gates and into the Amphitheatre created; or even the early start - but Jack's tunes all sounded sort of the same ( with the exception of the bluesy G. Love cover ).

My attention started to wander early during his set... and I had 100 Level Admission tickets!! The main problem I have/had with Johnson's music was that his songs were of a predictably similar tempo, groove, style and arrangement. Jack's also not the most engaging performer - he's waaaaay to mellow for my tastes. He makes Jimmy Buffet look like a caffeine addict. Another problem I had with Johnson was that he seemed to be going through the motions for most of the night. Maybe that's just his laid-back personality? Probably is, but if you own his albums, then you won't get anything different live. This irritates me. In all honesty, for everyone in attendance at the Amphitheatre: Did Jack surprise you with anything? He surprised me by the almost note-for-note renditions of the songs from his albums - if you have his studio albums, then you've pretty much heard Jack Johnson live. I was not expecting this! I know Jack's been adopted into the jam scene and he's a surfer and a bit of a hippy, but that does not automatically make him a jam guy. He's NOT a jam guy... well, not yet anyway. I'm thinking he'll change his live ways for the next tour. His jam fans should demand it!

And now to Ben Harper:

This was my fourth Ben Harper concert and it was by far the weakest . It's not that I thought Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals were off Monday, it's just that this show to put it bluntly: DID NOT KICK MY ASS. Sure, there were moments when Ben " kicked my ass ", the opener Glory & Consequence had me grooving immediately - Ben even took a rare standard guitar solo near the jam-out at the end ( something that he did not repeat, unfortunately, for the rest of the night ). Ben's actually a good standard-style lead player, so I was disappointment that all the standard solos were taken by " Diamonds On The Inside " and tour session man, Nicky P. Sure Nicky's a good lead player, but Ben is one of the more innovative guitarists of the last 10 years. Ben's signature Weissenborn guitar was rarely heard throughout the night, and when he did decide to play it, Ben & The Criminals really kicked out the jams.

The real power of Ben Harper is when he combines his Weissenborn with his soulful vocals. In all years and tours past, Ben was rarely without his Weissenborn. However, I think this Ben Harper is consciously trying to build a cohesive funk/soul/rock band with all parts contributing equally, and this musical direction may not be conducive to the Weissenborn. That's the problem. I love the Ben of old, when he was the leader and go-to musician. He's too talented and influential of a musician to be front and centre, playing an average and often voice-less rhythm guitar ( for most of the night ) and taking frequent backseats when members of the Innocent Criminals jammed-out: the benefactors being funked-out bassist Juan Nelson ( he smoked all night ), and Wurlitzer keyboardist Greg Kurstin and lead guitarist Nicky P. These musicians seemed to be driven by Ben's vocals and grooves, but unfortunately, not the other way around. That's another big problem. Ben's awe-inspiring musicianship has been mostly muted by his evolving musical styles and direction, and that's just not right.

That being said, it's still hard not to be captivated when Ben picks up his acoustic guitar, especially when he is joined on vocals by 16 thousand fans during the sing-along Burn One Down and his cover of the Marvin Gaye classic, Sexual Healing. Ben's acoustic sets are always welcome and moving. His vocals were as soulful as ever, and never more apparent than during his first encore selections: Waiting For An Angel, Walk Away and I Shall Not Walk Alone. But the highlight of Encore #1 ( and one of the highs of the night ), was on Ben's Weissenborn accompanied version of the Bob Marley cover: High Tide Or Low Tide ( w/ Jack Johnson ). Ben's vocal harmonies and slide interplay melded perfectly with Jack's acoustic guitar and singing.

It's a good thing that Ben ended the night on a high note, with his now modern-day classic Faded/Whole Lotta Love, in Encore #2 . He's been doing the Faded/Whole Lotta Love medley for quite a few tours now, and it never gets boring or predictable. Monday night was no exception. I don't want to harp ( no pun intended ) on the fact that Ben doesn't play his Weissenborn that much anymore, but you could really see and feel the crowd's energy and enthusiasm rise when he ripped it up on the slide during Faded/Whole Lotta Love. Listen Ben: It was powerful! In fact, throughout the night, the crowd always seemed more responsive during his Weissenborn-accompanied songs. When Ben chose to play, he proved that he could still rock with the best of them. Rock like he did back in 2000 and 2001. It's the old Ben. The Ben that me like him in the first place. Bring back that Ben, at least a little more often.

All-in-all, the show Monday was an interesting and generally enjoyable reggae/soul/funk dominated excursion for Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals. The concert was faithful to the directions and themes explored on his new album " Diamonds On The Inside ". I like the new Ben Harper, but he's not quite the same as the old Ben Harper. A little older, wiser and not as interesting, innovative or mind-blowing, especially live.

06/30/03 - Molson Amphitheatre: Toronto, Canada

co-headlined: Jack Johnson

Ben Harper:

set: Glory & Consequence, Excuse Me Mr., Brown Eyed Blues, Gold To Me, Forever, Sexual Healing, Bring The Funk, Steal My Kisses, Amen Omen, Temporary Remedy, Burn One Down, With My Own Two Hands/War

E: Waiting On An Angel, Walk Away, I Shall Not Walk Alone, High Tide Or Low Tide (w/ Jack Johnson)

E2: Faded/Whole Lotta Love

i remember hearing jack say its hard to play with all these people sitting down, i think he was catching the mellow slow vibe you speak of from the crowd.... i had no complaints at all from his set, yeah his songs dont leave much room for a jam because theyre so short and to the point. one of my highlights from the jack set was the badfish, i love sublime and i was hoping to get the trenchtown rock>garden grove medley, ive heard that on a few other shows i have, but any sublime is good and badfish is a great song,

is this Weissenborn guitar you speak of the hollowneck lap slide? i love that guitar, got such a sweet tone to it,, or iis it the electric he uses?

i had no complaints with either set, other then the ppl that kept kicking the hole in my foot [Wink]

I would think that the novelty of the "Weissenborn" would wear off if he used it as much as you want him to. Would the energy of the "ending on a high-note" be lost if he used it throughout every show?

I'm not a huge follower of Ben Harper, so I'm just getting this impression from your take on the show.

Bouche,

My point being, it should never get to this. Ben's an influential lap-slide guitarist. He rarely showed this important side Monday night. The three other shows that I've seen in the past were powerful live statements. This concert, while good, did not compare spiritually, musically and most important of all, did not kick my ass.

His trademark instrument was used infrequently ( and admittedly to great enthusiasm when played ), but it was used infrequently none-the-less. His rhythm playing lacks power, and he is powerful instrumentalist. It's like going to see Derek Trucks, but he only sticks to standard playing. You'd be disappointed.

I think Ben was trying to soften or explain his political stance related to the lyrics and message of " Burn One Down ".

For those who weren't there, Ben said something on the lines ( after Burn One Down ):

Ben said he feels bad when he sees parents leaving concerts with their kids during Burn One Down.

Burning one down is about freedom.

Some people you know do it too much and should be told to stop.

Some people are too tight and should take a hit to loosen them up. It would do them good.

I had no problem with his speech. I don't burn any down myself, and I won't sing to the song, but I can't see me taking my kids ( when I have them ) out of a Ben Harper show when he sings the song.

Was at the Montreal show last night, great to see him again at the Metropolis, the crowd in Montreal were crazy and heavily into the show. My impressions were, he played a lot of somgs off the new album, they all sounded better live which I had hoped for, the band did a lot of actual long jamming in between songs, one part was a Juan Nelson bass solo off Steal My Kisses, as he played the notes he vocally harmonized them, blew my mind completely!! The acoustic part was again nice to hear but a little long and mellow, he lost some people nodding off during that, finished up fairly strong with Like a King-I'll Rise. Did see a bit of the Weisenborn throughout the night, but the only old hreavy hitter he pulled out was Ground on Down. All in all, a good tightly played show, well jammed, but a bit on the mellow side, they didn't do a great job bring the crowd to maximum overdsrive before it was brought down to breathe, like the other shows I saw. I liked the TO Setlist better!

Let's see what they conjur up for Bluesfest.

Well, Jaimoe - I agree with your take on Jack Johnson. I was not familiar with his music at all going into the show... and I must say I was disappointed. Each song sounded like a variation of the previous. NOt a bad sound, but he needs to change it up and contrast it some. Pretty boring for a 1.5 hour set.

As for Ben, I have seen him a couple times before and I've gotta say this was the least impressive of his performances. A couple years ago he'd play crazy freak-outs like real heavy flowing shit, but I didn't feel this show was so inspired. I guess I too dig his earlier slide-heavy sound. Juan sure kicks ass boy - that's for sure!

I'm not too sure how I feel about what he said after burn one down either - I got the impression he was talking down the stance he took in the song to make it more palatable for a wider (read not chronic) audience.

that show rocked, bad reviewers be damned

i had tons of fun, little b it hard to dance with the wookiefoot but i still had a blast, until sanislo broke his glass [Frown] thast never any fun but thanks to jared i had some papers woohoo!

Archived