Jambands.ca

Some Famous Cannabis Users

boogieknight

Dr. Lester Grinspoon

lester_grinspoon.jpg

This dude is awesome. I first encountered him in the Penn & Teller's Bullshit episode on drug prohibition. He is a 78-year-old professor of psychiatry emeritus at Harvard. He has an awesome site at www.marijuana-uses.com, where he has published an essay entitled To Smoke or not to Smoke: A Cannabis Odyssey. A couple exerpts:

I had come to understand that marijuana was not addicting in the usual, rather vague understanding of that word, but I certainly got hooked on learning about it. I was fascinated by my growing understanding of how little I actually knew about this drug, and even more so by the many false beliefs I had held with such conviction. It soon dawned on me that I, like most other Americans, had been brainwashed, that I was a part of this madness of the crowd. And the more I learned about cannabis, the more it seemed to be capable of providing experiences which would be worth exploring personally sometime in the future.
Finally, on our third attempt, we were able to reach the promised high. Our awareness of having at last crossed the threshold arrived gradually. The first thing I noticed, within a few minutes of smoking, was the music; it was "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." This music was not unfamiliar to me, as it was a favorite of my children, who constantly filled the house with the sound of the Beatles, the Grateful Dead and other popular rock bands of the time. They frequently urged me to get my "head out of classical music and try listening to rock." It was impossible not to listen to rock when they were growing up, but it was possible for me, as it was for many parents of my generation, not to hear it. On that evening I did "hear" it. It was for me a rhythmic implosion, a fascinating new musical experience! It was the opening of new musical vistas, which I have with the help of my sons continued to explore to this very day. A year later, I related this story to John Lennon and Yoko Ono, with whom I was having dinner. (I was to appear the next day as an expert witness at the Immigration and Naturalization Service hearings that Attorney General John Mitchell had engineered as a way of getting them out of the country on marijuana charges after they became involved in anti-Vietnam War activities.) I told John of this experience and how cannabis appeared to make it possible for me to "hear" his music for the first time in much the same way that Allen Ginsberg reported that he had "seen" CÈzanne for the first time when he purposely smoked cannabis before setting out for the Museum of Modern Art. John was quick to reply that I had experienced only one facet of what marijuana could do for music, that he thought it could be very helpful for composing and making music as well as listening to it.

The biggest rock group of the seventies, however, was Led Zeppelin, renowned for excess in all areas. They played the heaviest music and took the hardest drugs in the most copious quantities and their audience was more liable to be bombed on downers and alcohol than floating on a cannabis cloud. The musicians themselves had certainly smoked enough pot: they'd even followed Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones to Morocco, to visit the Jajouka musicians of the Riff Mountains, who smoked kif and played their swirling, polyrhythmic music from dusk till dawn, an influence that has become more obvious since Jimmy Page and Robert Plant travelled to Marrakesh in 1994 to re-record several Zep anthems with local musicians, notably a joyous version of Kashmir.

But this a revisionist view of Led Zep, who are widely condemned as the progenators of Heavy Metal and the kind of portentous stadium rock perpertrated by boorish rock stars who've snorted so much cocaine that they're heading for platinum septums. As cocaine became the essential rock 'n' roll accessory in the 1970's