Jambands.ca

Q of the Day...7/13/03 Phish Setlists

Chewie

Here they are so far...what do y'all think of them? Do they look like interesting shows? Any comments, concerns, questions? San diego's set 2 looks pretty cool imho and so does shorelines...but what do you guys think?

---------------

07/12/03 (Sat) The Gorge - George, WA

Set 1: Taste, Mexican Cousin, Stash, NICU, Heavy Things, Mock Song*, Search & Destroy*, Maze

Set 2: Piper, Two Versions of Me*, Tweezer**, Dogs Stole Things, Water in the Sky, Ghost, David Bowie, E: Frankenstein, Tweezer Reprise Encore: Frankenstein, Tweezer Reprise

Comment: * debut. ** Free tease.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07/10/03 (Thu) Shoreline Amphitheatre - Mountain View, CA

Set 1: Spices > Waves, Reba, Lawn Boy, The Moma Dance, Run Like An Antelope

Set 2: 46 Days, The Divided Sky, Friday, Free > Seven Below, Wading in the Velvet Sea, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Down With Disease, E: Rift, Character Zero

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07/09/03 (Wed) Shoreline Amphitheatre - Mountain View, CA

Set 1: You Enjoy Myself* > Simple, Mist, Chalkdust Torture, Bathtub Gin

Set 2: Boogie On Reggae Woman > AC/DC Bag, Piper, Twist, Scents & Subtle Sounds, Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, E: Loving Cup

07/08/03 (Tue) Coors Amphitheatre - Chula Vista, CA

Set 1: Guyute, Horn, My Sweet One, Tweezer, Limb By Limb, Fast Enough For You, Frankie Says, Taste

Set 2: Down With Disease, Vultures, Secret Smile*, Harry Hood > Carini, Discern*, Waste, E: Bouncing Around the Room, Tweezer Reprise

Comment: *First time played

07/07/03 (Mon) Cricket Pavillion - Phoenix, AZ

Set 1: Stash, Sample in a Jar, Billy Breathes, Waves, Spices*, Anything But Me, David Bowie, Dirt, Possum

Set 2: Birds of a Feather, Wolfman's Brother, Scents & Subtle Sounds*, The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu > Walls of the Cave, Prince Caspian, E: Character Zero

The lists look pretty good, although I haven't dl'ed any of the shows yet.

Some of them are classic phish (7.9) and there seem to be lots of new tunes, so its looks as though they are having fun and that the break did do some good.

They are definitely playing sets that mimic some old shows from previous tours- 7.9 is almost a carbon copy of the last one before the break 10.7, and the Coors field show features another first set Tweezer in Chula Vista.

I am thrilled they finally busted out the Mock Song last night- thats my fav on RR and was starting to think it wasn't going to come out at all.

Long live summer tour!

Sean

So far I've listened to the first four shows, upto 7/10 shoreline. As with the winter shows, I was generally not that impressed with the setlist (for the beginning of tour) but the shows had their moments. I think you had to be there for some of them...

There's def room for improvment, YEM was slightly botched again but it surprisingly went straight into simple w/out a vocal jam! A 26-minute Gin speaks for itself. I have mixed feelings about the new songs, as usual...i expect them to grow on me over time.

Yo! I'm not sure about the Gin in question, but Gin at the 2nd Cinnci show that I was lucky enough to be at was, truly, one of the best moments of my concert-going life, which is BTW almost 20 years and over 500 shows old. Super SWEET!

Personally, as I somebody who never saw Phish before this year, I like the look of the lists. A good chunk of older things 'cus I haven't heard most of them, a few new things to keep things interesting. IMHO as a relative Phish newbie compared to many on this board, nice! [big Grin]

Peace,

Mr. M.

One thing I noticed in February, was that the setlists were very poor indications of how good or not as good the show actually was. It seems to be the stuff after and in between the songs are where the best moments are and the true mettle of the show. I like the new songs though. Scents and Subtle Shades or whatever is quite nice, if in needing of some practice. There was a Mike's song in there somewhere with a stellar jam.

quote:

A 26-minute Gin speaks for itself.

Yes, but does it speak good or bad?

I listened to a moe set, one song into another for the whole second set. i think one was rec chemistry, i'm not sure....

anyways, it was one of the worst sets of noodling and pointless jamming i've ever heard.....

LONG does not equal GOOD.

(but) this is phish, and i was at BC. so i know long jams CAN be worth it.

Archived