Jambands.ca

Roger Waters makes mark on Israel's wall

\/\/illy

[color:brown]Roger Waters makes mark on Israel's wall

[color:gray]Last Updated Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:04:47 EDT

[color:gray] CBC Arts

Roger Waters, co-founder of British rock group Pink Floyd, scrawled graffiti across the concrete barrier walling off parts of the West Bank before performing in Israel Thursday.

watersroger-cp-10261237.jpg

[color:gray]British rock musician Roger Waters had a message for Israel — take down the wall. (Ariel Schalit/AP)

He spray painted "No thought control," a line from Pink Floyd's The Wall, in red on the concrete blocks of the wall near the town of Bethlehem.

He urged Israel to tear down the wall, before performing at a makeshift concert site in Neveh Shalom, a Jewish-Arab village seen as a model for Jewish and Palestinian Israelis hoping to live in harmony.

Waters, 62, said he hoped that, like the Berlin Wall, the Israeli barrier would fall.

"It may be a lot harder to get this one down, but eventually it has to happen, otherwise there's no point being human beings," he said, according to Associated Press.

Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall is used as a protest song by opponents of Israel's barrier in the West Bank, which is now half finished. The lyrics have been adapted to: "We don't need no occupation. We don't need no racist wall."

Israel says the wall is necessary for protection from suicide bombers, but the Palestinians say it is a land grab.

Waters had been scheduled to play in Tel Aviv but switched the venue following pressure from dozens of Palestinian artists.

They wrote to him after he announced his Israeli concert urging him to stay away "at a time when Israel continues unabated with its colonial and apartheid designs to further dispossess, oppress and ultimately ethnically cleanse Palestinians from their homeland."

Most international artists avoid playing in Israel because of security concerns or out of disagreement with some of its policies.

Waters said he wouldn't boycott Israel, just as he wouldn't boycott Britain because he disagrees with Tony Blair's foreign policy.

But he insisted the concert be held in a place where Palestinians would have access. And he said the wall was even more horrifying when he was standing at the site.

"You can see photographs of something like this, but until you've seen the actual edifice itself and seen what it's doing to these communities . . . It's hard to comprehend that they could be doing this," he said.

Waters broke with Pink Floyd in 1985 for a solo career, but rejoined the group for the Live 8 concerts last year.

Tens of thousands gather for Waters' Israel concert which included a warm-up act featuring local musicians.

As if he wasn't amazing enough :). I just had Amused to Death on last night for the first time in a while, and recalled what a stellar - and relevant - piece of work it is.

What a line -

"It may be a lot harder to get this one down, but eventually it has to happen, otherwise there's no point being human beings."

As if he wasn't amazing enough :). I just had Amused to Death on last night for the first time in a while, and recalled what a stellar - and relevant - piece of work it is.

What a line -

"It may be a lot harder to get this one down, but eventually it has to happen, otherwise there's no point being human beings."

agreed, but it's sort of sad that the people in charge need to have this sort of thing pointed out to them by pop stars.

I agree that the wall has to be taken down, but I am in disagreement that so many people are taking the anti-Israel approach to this wall. I know Waters says he won't boycott Israel and I also agree with him that his concert should be played where everyone has access. But some people just don't get it:

"at a time when Israel continues unabated with its colonial and apartheid designs to further dispossess, oppress and ultimately ethnically cleanse Palestinians from their homeland."

Thats ridiculous. Israel wants peace (sorta). Palestine wants peace (sorta). But BOTH sides continue to fight for that extra slice, it is not just Israel trying to "ethincally cleanse". The wall may have its "land-grab" tendencies, but it is first and formost for safety. As someone who has lots of family in Israel I am obviously pro-Israel but I am more interested in pro-Acceptance and pro-Peace. Palestians make it seem like Israel are the only ones causing harm.

Sorry, thats my rant for this morning.

I agree with you, poppa, that neither side is innocent in this horrible thing, but doesn't the creation of a physical ghetto for Palestinians rankle a bit? If it's about safety, well, tunnels can be dug, weapons can pass through disassembled into discrete smaller bit, etc. etc. Imo, the wall only gives further excuse for militants to point and say that Israel has all the power and needs to be fought more stridently, whatever the intentions of moderates on both sides.

Granted, Waters has this thing about walls; I think what is more significant is the attention he can bring to Neveh Shalom. Protestants and Catholics in N. Ireland have worked in similar ways with blended schools to much acclaim. Paranoia's a cruel and persistent bitch, though.

Yes, the wall does bother me when you put in the sense that it could be a "physical ghetto" for the Palestinians. I am just tired of people taking the pro-Palestian side just because of the wall, without really knowing the facts (although I don't know them all either). And Ehud Olmert has mentioned something about discontinuing building of the wall or something like that until they come up with a better solution. Unfortunately for Israel (and Pro-peace Palestinians), Hamas is hell-bent on destroying Israel...we shall see how this unfolds.

But on second thought I do agree the wall can be daunting, and I am sure when Waters visited the place it really struck a chord with him.

He had this to say near the end of his show:

""Thank you so much for coming to Neve Shalom, the village of peace. It means a great deal to them, and also to me. I may be speaking out of turn, but I believe that me, and the rest of world, need this generation of Israelis to TEAR DOWN THE WALLS and to make peace with their neighbours."

I listened to the majority of the show through streaming Israeli radio yesterday. Rarely have I heard a crowd so vocal in their appreciation - they sang along to literally every word of some songs.

Good for Waters for going to places few go. But if really wanted to suggest to Israel and the Palestinian Territorities how peace is done, he'd have been better off having Mrs. Gilmour, Mason and Wright on stage with him.

apart from that, I can't even begin to wrap my head around the Middle Eastern conflicts. It's such a dense and nuanced debate.

Good for Waters for going to places few go. But if really wanted to suggest to Israel and the Palestinian Territorities how peace is done' date=' he'd have been better off having Mrs. Gilmour, Mason and Wright on stage with him.[/quote']

That's priceless! :)

indeed. maybe they can get jimmy carter to broker a peace accord :P

Yes, the wall does bother me when you put in the sense that it could be a "physical ghetto" for the Palestinians. I am just tired of people taking the pro-Palestian side just because of the wall, without really knowing the facts (although I don't know them all either). And Ehud Olmert has mentioned something about discontinuing building of the wall or something like that until they come up with a better solution. Unfortunately for Israel (and Pro-peace Palestinians), Hamas is hell-bent on destroying Israel...we shall see how this unfolds.

While there are many people on either side of the wall who are both good and bad, there is only one country which is currently in illegal occupation of foreign territory, and that is Israel. I don't think that many people are siding with the Palestinians "just because of the wall".

While there are many people on either side of the wall who are both good and bad, there is only one country which is currently in illegal occupation of foreign territory, and that is Israel. I don't think that many people are siding with the Palestinians "just because of the wall".

That may have been a poor choice of words, but whether Israel is in illegal occupation of foreign territory I think is a big part of the argument. Some say yes, some say no...and of course Israel is the one saying no and Palestine is the one saying yes.

I am as skeptical as anyone when it comes to the issue of Israel... But I have to say that I am impressed by the present course of the existing leadership. Their stance on the illegal settlements is refreshing. While they can do more, it is a step in the right direction. I never thought the govt. would take on their 'far right' but it seems to a degree they are. As long as they continue on this path, they have my support.

While there are many people on either side of the wall who are both good and bad' date=' there is only one country which is currently in illegal occupation of foreign territory, and that is Israel. I don't think that many people are siding with the Palestinians "just because of the wall".[/quote']

That may have been a poor choice of words, but whether Israel is in illegal occupation of foreign territory I think is a big part of the argument. Some say yes, some say no...and of course Israel is the one saying no and Palestine is the one saying yes.

I'm not sure where the ambiguity lies. Jewish settlements have been expanding in the West Bank, even as Israel was tearing down settlements in the Gaza Strip. Jerusalem remains in the hands of Israel, when the UN had determined in 1947 that it should be a free and international city. If Israel would make a full return to the boundaries set out by the UN in 1947, it would solve many - although certainly not all - of the problems.

Of course, the Arab nations surrounding Israel should shoulder much of the blame for all of this nonsense, as they tried to wipe out the Israeli nation in both 1948 and 1967. The problem is really with religious nutjobs on both sides of the border, as well as the fact that neither side wants to blink first, although Egypt and Jordan have at least had the common sense to start behaving normally and concede that Israel has the right to exist.

While there are many people on either side of the wall who are both good and bad' date=' there is only one country which is currently in illegal occupation of foreign territory, and that is Israel. I don't think that many people are siding with the Palestinians "just because of the wall".[/quote']

wow Afro Poopa, I never thought of it like that before; thanks for shedding new light!

The problem is really with religious nutjobs on both sides of the border

That's exactly the point, my good man. Certainly there have been cases of far-right Jewish settlers causing violence; and of course there are extreme cases like that of Baruch Goldstein, the religious right-winger who shot up the mosque in Hebron before killing himself, around 1995 I think. But even if you compile all of those, the sum total is paltry compared to the destruction wreaked by Palestinian suicide bombers. They have relentlessly attacked commuter buses and busy city streets, killing hundreds upon hundreds of innocents, Jews and Arabs alike (though obviously far more Jews).

The way I see it, Israel is doing its part, trying to balance its relationships with its far right and with the Palestinians; in the last ten years, they have awarded Palestine its own territories and conceded its right to exist, and most recently have begun dismantling Jewish settlements in Palestinian territory, a project which is near completion save for the odd hold-out group. Palestine, on the other hand, has just elected to be its government perhaps the most active terrorist group in its history, an organization that has claimed responsibility for hundreds of civilian lives cut short by crude bombs packed full of nails and debris, detonated on city buses and in shopping squares.

The wall is extreme, but how else would you stop this kind of destruction, one which by its very nature cannot be directly retaliated against? The bombers kill hundreds and come from the territories. Israel tried in vain for year - YEARS! - to root out the problem in other ways. I believe they feel this is their last resort, and I understand it completely. Don't know if I 100% agree, but I don't have any other solutions.

no but man that would be an excellent choice, and a really underrated solo song of his.

Fortunately or unfortunately - depending on how you look at it - he is only doing two songs from his solo career in his setlist: Leaving beirut (unreleased) and Perfect Sense (Amused to Death).