Jambands.ca

THE SURLY YOUNG BUCKS @ Casbah, Monday Jul 3

TheGoodRev

What better way to end your holiday weekend than to check out my fairly new-ish project The Surly Young Bucks, the one with the rotating line-up. Here's the gig info:

Mon July 3 @ Casbah (306 King St W @ Queen)

THE SURLY YOUNG BUCKS

w/ An Artic Turn, Ovenbird, The Machines

8:30PM -- $5

This time around we are:

Max Kerman - piano, bass, vocal

Mike DeAngelis - guitar, vocal

Matthew Heywood - bass, guitar, vocal

Aaron Goldstein - drums, guitar, vocal

Lynn Seward - vocal, tambourine, harmonica

...and getting closer and closer to that elusive steady lineup. We're doing a kind of roots-rock/folk-rock/country-rock thing, you can check out our extremely sparse MySpace at myspace.com/thesurlyyoungbucks for some audio. Hope to see you out!

Why thank you! I came up with the name myself. When we played our first gig we didn't even have a name yet, and the booker called and asked what we wanted to be called so I just blurted it out. The funny part is, you'll notice that we're not all male (Lynn being the odd one out). She's advocating for a name change to The Surly Young Bucks & Doe, but we're having none of it.

I'd love to see your band in action Aaron...some day....

I have to agree with the spoonerisms above...if you don't have a steady line-up, then why a steady band name? I think it'd be a hoot to play every gig under a different spoonerized moniker!

One day Deb, one day. Maybe sooner than you think. Meantime, there's audio on our MySpace, and more coming.

As for different names, though, that would kind-of working against the whole building an audience thing...

This looks to be a very fun Monday night at Casbah.

Here is some info on the other bands playing...

New band AN ARCTIC TURN is a group to keep your eyes out for. Remember THE LANGSTON HEIGHTS? Some cats from that band (less Duncan Links) are in it. Evan from AAT is a grand guy.

Here is some music to listen to from this indie-pop outfit AN ARCTIC TURN.

http://www.myspace.com/anarcticturn

772670287_l.jpg

This bill is very cool actually. Another funky band on the bill is Kitchener's THE MACHINES.

Do you remember THE CANDIDATES? They were on the cover of View in 2003 when they opened for the Forgotten Rebels.

THE MACHINES are a more soulful, kinder version of said Candidates. Garage-rock? Yeah ok. But more so 60's soul.

Here is music:

http://www.myspace.com/themachines

62163844_l.jpg

then...

You've also got OVENBIRD on the bill, fronted and founded by BEN CAPLAN (remember Rocken Prussia?, opened for the Buliding Press at the Undie Aug 2004)...OVENBURD (spelled Uvenburd at the time also opened for the Fat Cats at Casbah in April 2004).

OVENBIRD will be introducing Duncan Links on drums and Andrew Davis (of Share Khan and the Matt Paxton band) on bass. And will also hopefully have Brodie from Squirell Cage on Viola.

Music here: http://www.myspace.com/ovenbird

744929224_l.jpg

Edited by Guest

So I just added new tune to the Myspace. Not so much a new tune as it is half a new tune. I wrote it last night and tracked drums, bass and elec guitar; Max came over and cut piano, harmonica and acoustic guitar. After all was said and done we went and wrote the rest of the tune, but you'll only hear one part of it. It's all mixed though so I figured it might be worth putting up there. We might end up playing it on Monday. A little derivative, but it's hard to make roots music without that... The Bucks on MySpace

if you promise not to leave your phone numbers with each of my bartenders anymore. They really do like you, but it's against company policy to date the clientele. ;)

Maybe if you had some broads working there and it wasn't such a sausage party behind the bar we could avoid these kinds of misunderstandings.