Jambands.ca

Pitchfork reviews Bonnaroo

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Live: Bonnaroo Festival

Manchester, TN: June 15-18, 2006

Bonnaroo attendees are not meant to see music. You will get lost looking for stages called "Which", "What", "This", and "That". You will be separated from your friends. You will lose your schedule. You will pay four dollars for a limp slice of pizza that will curve to garner the falling rain amongst its grease. And you will be solicited for any illicit substance you can think of by merely standing around.

At a festival this huge, the safety and supervision of some 80,000 music fans is first priority-- something the Bonnaroo staff handled admirably. The trouble with traveling to Middle of Nowhere, Tennessee, is the constant consideration that's part and parcel with any festival: Will it be "worth it?" While you're weighing the lineup and counting your cash, you might not realize that the scheduling at enormo-size events is a big problem, for any type of music fan. Friday night seemed to divide fans down genre lines, asking them whether their kind of party was Blackalicious with Common and Lyrics Born, My Morning Jacket, or the Disco Biscuits. During the afternoons, there were some quizzical splitting of audiences: Did you want to see Death Cab for Cutie as well as Cat Power? Shame, they're playing against each other. Stephen Malkmus and Son Volt? Oops. Amandou & Mariam or Damian Marley? Did I mention the comedy tent? You wanna catch Sonic Youth as well as Lewis Black? Well...

There was one exception every evening: Friday's three-hour hit parade from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (with surprise guest Stevie fucking Nicks), Saturday's Radiohead, and whomever's still alive from the Grateful Dead closed the festival on Sunday. Aside from that, it was impossible to see everything, so it became increasingly frustrating to even try. Few did: This was my first festival of such a huge size, but getting fucked up seemed like job one to the fans, and seeing music was second. Take that into account, and hangovers, 90-degree heat, inevitable detours, long walks from the campsite, and straight-up exhaustion is enough to stymie anyone's itinerary.

I missed at least half of what I wanted to see, but among what I didn't: Cat Power being replaced by a Matador-funded pod-performer who looks like she's actually enjoying it, in front of a 16-piece band. (Swear to God, she even mugged for photographers.) Elvis Costello sharing a stage with the legendary Allen Toussaint while singing to a George W. Bush Bobblehead with "KNOB" written on its forehead. Beck reclaiming all his derelict charm and being the only act to make creative use of the dual Jumbotrons with a perfectly-synced marionette version of his band (including a pre-recorded montage for the encore break, with the puppets walking the festival grounds and mocking nearly every facet of hippie culture). The Streets rocking a crowd with unexpected verve (no small thanks to the heavy-fusion live band) and Mike Skinner running off stage, not even realizing he could take an encore, then running back alone to share brandy with the front row. Sonic Youth breathing fire into the material from Rather Ripped and, after being the only band to get the deafening crowd response that actually merits an encore, bringing Malkmus on stage to sing "Madonna, Sean, and Me".

If there's any sense to be made from the inebration and exhaustion of Bonnaroo, I figure it's this: people will almost always take what's made available to them. It's possible that the jam band-following contingent had lessened this year, with more indie- and radio-friendly acts than Bonnaroo has ever hosted. But from talking to those around me-- which was a not an unwelcome change of pace from the usual fuck-you arms-folded autonomy of more intimate shows-- I found a curious demographic: Those who'd seen three or four Bonnaroos, but had never seen Radiohead. Not just never seen, but dying to see. Not just dying to see, but 18-year-old kids who wanted nothing more from life than to hear "Idioteque" played live. There were out-of-town travelers, of course, but there were also plenty of Tennesseans who'd maybe caught Elvis Costello at the Ryman last year or Clap Your Hands Say Yeah at The Basement-- but had never seen Radiohead, because they just never came. The great unwashed greeted everything from "The Bends" to "The Gloaming" (and even new tracks like "15 Step") with equal screaming, arm-lifting, glowstick-tossing adulation. I can't prove that everyone loved it unequivocally, but nearly every attendee showed up and soaked it in. It went a long way to prove open-mindedness that Bonnaroo purported to invite-- and just to see that, it was worth it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pitchfork can suck the life out of anything if they try.

And I thought of all the music rags that Pitchfork at least would know the song Malkmus sang with Sonic Youth was the classic 'Expressway to Yr. Skull' Although perhaps "Madonna, Sean, and Me" is an inside joke.

Thanks for posting though, gives me motivation to make my review better than this.

AD

Edited by Guest
inside joke

This review really bothers me and for some reason I can't put my finger on one particular point that really gets me. Although "and whomever is still alive from the Grateful Dead closed Sunday" really really bothered me, ya think whoever wrote this article even went to see that show?

Guest Low Roller

The article was definitely written by someone who is of the indie music orientation. You just need to read what bands he singles out in his review to see where his preferences lie.

Guest Low Roller
I hate Pitchfork reviews when they dont use stuff like:

Thats all I want to know! Give me a number!!!!!!

[color:purple]Purple? :crazy:

I couldn't disagree more about Radiohead's involvement in this fest.

I like that they were there but to close Saturday night was a mistake and seemed to drag a good portion of the crowd down. They are a pretty depressing act and not a good way to close down a night IMO. I'd have preferred Beck in their roll.

That being said I gained a new appreciation for their skill as musicians.

And so the Indie Scenester dipshittery continues.

Diversity was the key to this Bonnaroo and instead of celebrate it the reviewer just carved into what they didn't see eye to eye with. Wet Blanket.

Guest Low Roller

I would argue that.

After a decline in attendance in 2005, the organizers were probably slightly worried, and decided to get an act that would appeal and draw two major demographics: the Bonnaroo veterans and the newcomers.

GRAB was not that band. Cypress Hill was not that band. Phil and Friends was DEFINITELY not that band. Getting Tom Petty, My Morning Jacket, and Radiohead as headliners was a brilliant coup by the organizers as it satisfied the necessities of a solid respected headliner. Imagine the uproar if COLDPLAY headlined Bonnaroo?

Of course Radiohead must main event. Imagine having to follow up that act?? There are not too many bands that could even come close, and would prove very anti-climactic. In all fairness to Beck, I sure he doesn't want to follow Radiohead.

I think it is very telling that the writer of this article was most upset by missing Death Cab For Cutie. Really sounds like he s looking for Lolapalooza part II and is pissed that all the alt-rock shit was not upfront and center for him.

Jesus fucking crist, enough with the aimless, lifeless alt-rock AND EMO crap. There is egnough of it everywhere you turn, if Bonnaroo goes any further down that road I will most upset.

This years lineup while solid was good inspite of the deathcab for cutie type emo rock infection.

This dude should be happy that Bonnaroo is eclectic egnough to include such diverse acts. At the heart of this festival should be bands that improvise, and carry the torch of american music generes such as blues, country etc.....

.....Let s hoppe this doesnt deteriorate into Edgefest south.

Keep your boring rock outta my mind expanding jams! }:(

Edited by Guest

Personally, I felt that in the spirit of Bonnaroo, Radiohead was a nice addition and a nice headliner. For many people Radiohead was the reason they went to Bonnaroo. It's nice that people who would not normally go out to see bands like moe., Phil and Friends, Bela Fleck etc get exposed to the more jammy side of things and vice versa. I was never into Radiohead but when they got announced for Roo I immediately went out and bought a couple albums and I was blown away.

However, it bothers me when people like this reviewer only go for one style of music and completely shuns the rest of it without really giving it a chance (although that may not be fair, he may have listened to the music beforehand and not really enjoyed it).

Let's face it Deeps, I love ya but Beck is not big enough to headline Bonnaroo...

I can't get enough of Death Cab For Cutie lately. Excellent songwriting, lovely stuff.

I think Bonnaroo is heading in exactly the right direction(s).

So what, Bonnaroo got an ambivalent review. Big hairy deal. Last time I checked pitchfork was really rather excellent.

Let's face it Deeps, I love ya but Beck is not big enough to headline Bonnaroo...

Since when does mass appeal have to dictate such a thing? By this time of night the Main Stage Act is a guaranteed draw...people are essentially going for the purpose of gathering and not really driven by the outside-of-Bonnaroo hugeness of a band.

In my view Beck is inclusive and way more in line with the spirit of this festival...Radiohead is rather closed to the audience and as result would serve it's purpose better during the less-communal-more-driven-by the-listeners-tastes portion of the day.

i really didnt think this was that bad a review, at all, and coming from pitchfork im not the least bit surprised at the perspective it comes from.

i actually got the sense that the dude dug the festival, but just isnt a big fan of hippie music and the stereotypical "drugs first, music second" festival mentality - which is more than fair in my mind.

he also conceded it was his first festival of that size, so maybe he didnt expect to miss half the bands he wanted to see, but i think any seasoned festival goer knows there are going to be decisions to made and tough choices - no surprises there.

and in the end...

This dude should be happy that Bonnaroo is eclectic egnough to include such diverse acts.

... i thought he was..

It went a long way to prove open-mindedness that Bonnaroo purported to invite-- and just to see that, it was worth it.

So what, Bonnaroo got an ambivalent review. Big hairy deal. Last time I checked pitchfork was really rather excellent.

Big Hairy deal someone's questioning the quality of the Pitchfork review.

The above response is pretty knee jerk in it's own way don't you think?

Deeps

Let's face it Deeps' date=' I love ya but Beck is not big enough to headline Bonnaroo...[/quote']

Since when does mass appeal have to dictate such a thing? By this time of night the Main Stage Act is a guaranteed draw...people are essentially going for the purpose of gathering and not really driven by the outside-of-Bonnaroo hugeness of a band.

In my view Beck is inclusive and way more in line with the spirit of this festival...Radiohead is rather closed to the audience and as result would serve it's purpose better during the less-communal-more-driven-by the-listeners-tastes portion of the day.

I think that mass-appeal should generally dictate it. They put the headliners there because those are the bands that the most people come to see no? The reason that some people buy their tickets? I garantee you more people bought tickets because of Radiohead then because of Beck. Maybe I am just not getting the whole Beck thing but I feel like the best way to sell tickets was to have a classic rock icon, an alt/indie(whatever) rock icon, and a jam icon all playing the biggest stage at the best times...

Edited by Guest

So what' date=' Bonnaroo got an ambivalent review. Big hairy deal. Last time I checked pitchfork was really rather excellent.[/quote']

Big Hairy deal someone's questioning the quality of the Pitchfork review.

The above response is pretty knee jerk in it's own way don't you think?

Deeps