Jambands.ca

The Docks Loses Liquor License

ollie

it sucks cus i play beach volley ball there every thursday night.. we always have a beer or four after the games..

but i see the otherside.. the noise from the place echos extremely loud on the island.. so good for them...

Man, I don't see the other side at all. I mean look , you may live on the island but you are not in the Muskokas. YOu cannot expect serien quiet when you live the biggest metropolis in Canada.

I live in the club district near several big nightclubs and if I was to complain on a Friday night that the clubs were too loud after 11pm the police would laugh at me. That's the point I choose to live in the city in the core so, I have to deal. That's cool.

So do the island residents, seriously how loud can it be. It's not like they're living next to it. If I can sleep right next to super club then they should be able to tolerate weekend club noise across a lake.

You ain't in cottage country!

Also the island residents want for "quiet time" after 11pm, will put approx 350 people at the Dock's out of work, and stop a source of revenue for our city. Think of how many concerts and club nights bring in lots of tourist $$$ for the city in taxes, hotels and parking.

So selfish. Move to Gravenhurst already! }:(

Edited by Guest

when you live in noise you end up getting used to it..

you should see how loud it is over tehre on club nights..

my xgirlfriends father lives out there.. and ive spent a few nights there.. and it is pretty damn loud..

so i understand their point.. doesnt mean I'm 100% for what they have done by stripping the liquor license.. but after 10years im sure they explored all their options to accomodate both parties interests.

but the island is a diamond in the rough, and places like that in the city draw money and tourist dollars as well remember...

You're right, the Isalnd does draw tourist dollars and tax $$$ too.

But I think we are onthe same page, each side needs to give a little.

The Dock's needs to tone down thier gino parties on thursdays outdoors and in the Summer maybe any day other than Friday Staurday they need to play the music inside only.

On the other hand the Island residents need to realize that the weekend is party time for everyone and they cannot expect silence when the lights go out all the time.

Compromise is the name of the game.

Edited by Guest

Chameleon, i'm with you. The Toronto Island residents are a piece of work. They are fortunate enough to have had to only pay $36,000 - $46,000 for their 99-year leases ... yes that's a total! Pretty sweet deal. They get to live in a small community that is surrounded by a public park. I think everyone should respect their property and privacy, but they don't own the island and should not hinder the use or enjoyment of it by anyone.

They have gotten pissed-off in the past about the Dragon Boat Festival, Wakestock, concerts, niteclubs, airplanes, helicopters, bridges, etc.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2002/ed102802.htm

http://torontoisland.org/CommunityAssociation/tabid/186/Default.aspx

I love the way they call themselves "homeowners with limited rights". Seems to me like they've got a lot more when it comes to noise complaints!

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

Yeah, I don't get it. If you want to live in a quiet, cottage country area, you go to cottage country, pretty simple. If you have a job in the city and chose to live on the island, that's a choice you've made but you have to realize that a city is not quiet. Once the club noise dies down are they going to start bugging the ambulances and firetrucks and cops to tone down their sirens? It's a city. Now, if it's constantly loud during the week, I can see that being annoying but on weekends you have to give a little.

What I think is funny is that they took away the liquor license. If they sell to minors or water down the alcohol, take away the liquor license but I didn't think that happened for noise, I thought you got noise complaints for that. I have no real idea though here.

One thing to consider is that Toronto islanders don't consider themselves Torontonians (and I'm not sure legally if they are) - not unlike (but not the same) Wolfe Islanders across the harbour from Kingston.

Edited by Guest

One thing to consider is that Toronto islanders don't consider themselves Torontonians (and I'm not sure legally if they are)

It is considered a Toronto neighbourhood. It is on property owned by the City of Toronto. Their land lease is with Toronto. They utilize Toronto services (ferries, police, ambulance, etc.) Their kids go to Toronto public schools. Their taxes go to Toronto.

How can they NOT consider themselves Torontonians!

If they are distancing themselves from being Torontonians, I say can the lease and expropriate 'em. Let's have a killer outdoor venue on the island with camping facilities for some killer concerts/festivals that all TORONTONIANS (and visitors) can enjoy :) :) :)

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

Yes, the Island is still a communtity and neighbourhood. It's been around a long time and is unique to the city. To kick them off the land only to build a "killer outdoor venue" is ridiculous.

However, I know that many Toronto residents hate and/or resent the islanders relative "free ride". I don't think about them too much myself. The Island airport deals get my ire up.

To kick them off the land only to build a "killer outdoor venue" is ridiculous.

Sorry, I was meaning to be somewhat humourous there, and was not being serious. Mind you, what better place for a concert? Hot summer night, great tunes, the backdrop of the inner harbour and the Toronto skyline? :D

I was just over there last week. I had forgotten how very cool the Toronto Islands are. I spent a lot of time there as a kid going to daycamp and going over on my dad's boat. It's barely changed. I love those funky 4-seater bicycle "cars".

Quad Bike

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

Edited by Guest

Updated news: Link here .

Docks liquor licence returned, with rules

Jul. 28, 2006. 06:08 PM

HEBA ALY

STAFF REPORTER

Booze will flow at the Docks once again — albeit with restrictions — after a judge yesterday stayed an order revoking its liquor licence, saying the Harbourfront venue would suffer “irreparable harm†if it was banned from serving alcohol.

That means the Docks can go back to full operation — raking in an expected $250,000 this weekend alone — until an appeal of the liquor licence removal by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario is heard, no later than January by court order.

The nightclub and entertainment complex lived up to one of the conditions when it paid $14,377.50 in outstanding fines for noise bylaw infractions by the 5 p.m. deadline it was given.

The Cherry St. hot spot lost its licence earlier this week because of Toronto Islands residents’ complaints that have plagued the complex for a decade.

Without a liquor licence, Docks lawyer Brian Campbell argued, the club would have been forced to close immediately, as alcohol sales account for 50 per cent of revenue.

“I am so happy for my (350) employees that they have jobs,†owner Jerry Sprackman said.

Divisional Court Justice Katherine Swinton slapped Sprackman’s club with 10 conditions, among them:

Ø no amplified voices, music or disc jockey outdoors before 11 a.m. or after 11 p.m.

Ø no large outdoor events.

Ø the closure of all windows and doors, except for regular entrance and exit, while music plays indoors.

If the club violates any of these conditions, Swinton said, the stay will be lifted and the club will go without a liquor licence until the appeal is heard.

But for some residents, the restrictions won’t have any impact.

“They don’t have a history of obeying conditions,†said a Ward’s Island resident who didn’t want to be named. “That’s why (the alcohol commission) made the decision it made. It said conditions would be futile.â€

Vivian Pitcher, of the Toronto Island Community Association, agreed.

“It’s disappointing that they got their way again,†she said.

Sprackman said the city — which he alleges breaks its own noise bylaws when it puts on concerts on the islands — has been unfairly picking on the Docks. Groups staging raves nearby share the blame, he said. If they don’t stop, “we are going to sue their behinds off†because “I’m getting sick and tired of being accused of things.â€