Jambands.ca

List of overpaid players in the NHL

Booche

Who was it that said the game has passed by John Muckler?

Anaheim: Jean-Sebastien Giguere - 3.99 million$

Atlanta: Bobby Holik - 4.25 million$

Boston: Zdeno Chara - 7.5 miliion$

Marc Savard - 5 million$

Glen Murray - 4.15 milion$

Alexei Zhamnov - 4.1 million$

Paul Mara(in my opinion) - 3 million$

Buffalo: Jaroslav Spacek - 3.225 million$

Daniel Briere - 5 million$

Calgary: Nobody maybe Tanguay or Hamrlik but i don't think so.

Carolina: Brind'Amour - 4 million$

Chicago: Martin Havlat - 6 million$

Adrian Aucoin - 4 million$

Colorado: Joe Sakic - 5.75 million$ seriously come on guys

Jose Theodore - 5.5 million$

Patrice Brisebois - 3 million$

Columbus: Sergei Fedorov - 6.08 million$

Adam Foote - 4.6 million$

Dallas: Marty Turco - 6 million$

Detroit: Robert Lang - 3.8 million$

Edmonton: Dwayne Roloson - 4 million$

Florida: Nobody

Los Angeles: Rob Blake - 6 million$

Mattias Norstrom - 4.25 million$

Minnesota: Kim Johnsson - 4.05 million$

Montreal: Saku Koivu - 4.75 million$

Nashville: Jason Arnott - 4.5 million$

New Jersey: Brian Rafalski - 4.2 million$

NY Islanders: Alexei Yashin - 7.6 million$

NY Rangers: Nobody

Philadelphia: Nobody

Phoenix: Ed Jovanovski - 7 million$ too much for an injured player

Pittsburgh: Nobody

Ottawa: Nobody

San Jose: Evgeni Nabokov - 5 million$

Saint Louis: Jay Mckee - 4 million$

Doug Weight - 3. 75 million$

Tampa Bay: Brad Richards - 7.8 million$

Vincent Lecavalier - 7.167 million$

Martin St.Louis - 6 million$

Filip Kuba - 3 million$

Toronto: Bryan McCabe - 5 million$

Pavel Kubina - 5 million$

Vancouver: Willie Mitchell - 3.5 million$

Washington: Brian Pothier - 2.5 million$ and Ovechkin not even making a million he deserves more than 4 million$ per season same goes to Crosby. Damn

Nice list...

Needs Khabibulin...

I like Ottawa... (trying to be objective here)... I mean sure they had to lose a couple of Top teir players... but they were developed from witin the organization, and Ottawa never really paid full price for arguably the best parts of their careers.

For a replacement for these 2 key (4 if you throw in Pothier, and Smolinski), and you have the basic loss to the team. In the back end with the loss of Chara and Pothier, they were replaced with Preissing and Corvo. A net upgrade in my opinion because a) It's two big bodies (not Chara size so a bit of a loss), for one big body and a small body. But, the two big bodies are quick on their feet, and are really good at distributing out of the zone passes (ala Redden), and were sound with the +/- on teams that didn't have the same erruption of goals as the Sens did last year (Thourgh Preissing either benefitted, or contributed alot from/to the Cheechoo/Thorton love affair in San Jose)... The net effect is a faster defence, and a slight edge in size... so I'm really quite pleased about this 'upgrade'... especially since Chara's offence slumped from two years ago and may indicate that he's perhaps too big a target to exist for a long time in the NHL (largest body * most ice time/(aggressive defensive posture)/(First step speed Quotient)), and may come up a lame duck in the long run (kudos to Muckler)...

Up front... Patty Eaves year two (how this kid is going to last the way he plays is beyond me... cross checks to the head in front of the net, but if he can keep playing uninjured... he'll be better)... Vermette... if he fixes his stone hands, and can develop that soft touch he was showing signs of late last year will quickly makes Sens land forget about Havlat.... and Chris Kelly... The human Canonball... he can step into a roll... sure, they won't have the pop that they had in those 8 - X blowouts they would have all the time (damn that was fun :)), but with Gerber in net, and a more consistant defence (from a team still holding on to a strong Jaques Martin mentality) I think they will do much better at keeping the goal out of their net in bunches, and be better at the 'close' games... and that's what the playoffs are all about, and really where the Sens need to improve.

Gerber is a much better sideman to Razor Ray going into his second year than Hasek was... lets be honest, that whole drama didn't help the team, and net upgrades might be a slight loss, or a slight gain, but over all based on the Sens philosophy to develop from within, I don't think we have to worry too much about replacement players... or the development of the players that are already here (making us the youngest team in the league (with Hasek and Smoke gone, that's a crazy understatement (kinda getting like the NFL this NHL (but I digress)))) there's always someone around the corner with the Sens... and Muckler honestley has done everything he can (in the good spirit of sport) to give Ottawa the best chance for a cup, and he's contined to do it...

Ya, I like talking about this team...

FWIW, I like alot of the moves the Leafs made, and then they go and sign Belak... oh yeah, it's cause no one on that team can fight, except Belak... I can't wait for Toronto games... the fans in Toronto might not like to think about what Brian McGratten can do to a game, but the players sure do, and for some sad reason, I think some of the Leaf players were happy with the Belak signing (Darcy I'm looking in your direction)

I smell a Leaf fan in the making...

Ok... I'll tell you straight up I was a Leaf fan... breifly.

My love of hockey comes from playing it. I could kill days at a time shooting against my garage into an empty net... and I really liked the game... but I never took too much to the NHL until I got older (and after I pinched a nerve in my spine when I was 15 at a tourney in Buffalo after getting hit funny into the boards)... competing at the top level didn't seem so important to me after that, and the free time allowed me to become a more active observer of the professional game.

It was only in highschool when we would hang out (after roller hockey) and start watching the games as a group I got into the NHL... it was fun, and I cheered for the Leafs because I'm a hometown fan kinda guy... and cause in 92-93... Gilmour was awesome, and Gretzky deserved a penalty for his slash!!! Got to a couple games cause of parental "tickets through the office"... All I'm saying is that it was perfectly natural for a Toronto kid to grow up a Toronto Fan...

Then it happened... moved to Ottawa in year five of their 11 year run of improved points in the seson... went to MANY games, at 15-20 bucks a pops, and just greatly admired the teams pholosphy, work ethic, and ability to win within a strict (and still economically strained) budget.

The MAGNUS ARVEDSON/DANIEL ALFREDSSON/MARION HOSSA breakaway pass was one of the single coolest phenomenon to come out of those years... they would have 3 or 4 of those a game... it was unbelieveable! As well, Alexi Yashin played his best seasons in Ottawa, before moving aside to allow Chara to come in and maybe do the same.

The biggest difference between Ottawa and Toronto, is that Ottawa managed to be a good hockey team (that can't win in the playoffs) by making up the gap in payroll, and income by being very smart, very team/city oriented, and very hard working... Toronto manages to be a good hockey team (that can't win in the playoffs) by having a top 4 salary, constant schoolyard dramatics in the locker room, a revolving door roster, and by milking a fan base that could sell out the skydome for a game against the Cyotes.

Also... Richard Peddie, and the Teachers union... they meddle so much!!

It's a fine line of course. I love my community, and now it's Toronto again. I would really like to see an awesome party here where everyone gets happy, but there's one thing that's really bugging me... it's how Toronto acted towards Ottawa in the four years they knocked Ottawa out of the playoffs (only to lose in the next round because of the lingering wounds left by Ottawa)... it was awful. So 'unCanadian'... It was like a flame on a message board times 20,000... it was like "Common Toronto, we're just playing hockey!!! This ain't a world war"... but alas, it's okay, all in the past, but my own personal experience just won't allow me to blindly cheer for a team which caused me so much pain (I know it's only a game :P), so I feel I've been entrenched now as a Sens fan, atleast until I move to some 'neutral territory' in the future.

Ya, there's plenty I dont like about the Leafs, including, the majority of the fans, their management, and the way the Media covers them. But, like you said, its pretty natural to be a fan if you grew up in the T-dot. Like I've always said - Im a fan by default.

Its hard not to follow this team if you live in Southern Ontario, as every sports talk show and television show is pretty much centred aropund the stupid Maple Leaf. Over time you start to get involved in the conversations and before you know it - WHAM! your listening to WHAM! No, just kidding, Im a loser...you get caught up in the whole stupidness of it all. You watch Peddie and the Teacher's union screw everything up, you see them sign players who are basically old and in the way, you see the media worship Pat Quinn, and you see a team of geriatrics on the ice. But for some reason, you end up cheering for them. Maybe cuz you know everything thats wrong with them, maybe cuz living down here, you know how much pressure there is for this organized ball of chaos to do well, or maybe you just want them to win so everyone around you will shut-up about them for a while. Whatever the reason - we all follow this stupid team, if not cuz we love em, cuz we really really really enjoy watching them lose. And watching them lose, can, believe it or not, get old. Especially if you live here.

That's why we love raggin' on the Senators so much - its a good way to bide time between cups!