Jambands.ca

Final sale of The Dead recordings

\/\/illy

Got an e-mail today that basically states they won't be selling a series of recordings anymore. (I've pasted the entire thing in below.) The thing that really caught my attention was this statement:

"The Dead has decided to close shop. While some of the older Grateful Dead recordings will still be marketed under an arrangement the band has made with Warner Brothers, the band's post-Garcia touring organization will be shut down."

It sure doesn't sound like we'll be getting a 'Dead show at any time in the future.

==================================================

Dear customer,

The Dead has decided to close shop. While some of the older Grateful Dead recordings will still be marketed under an arrangement the band has made with Warner Brothers, the band's post-Garcia touring organization will be shut down. This also means that all sales of The Dead's "Official Concert Recording Series" - the live recordings from The Dead's 2003 and 2004 tours - will come to an end.

So, between NOW and August 18th is the last chance to get your hands on any of the 66 live recordings from The Dead's 2003 and 2004 tours, as well as the two 2003 New Years Eve shows from Mountain View, CA, and the 2/9/04 Winter Jam show at the Warfield, in San Francisco. After August 18th, the "Official Concert Recording Series" website will shut down, and none of these recordings will be available for sale anymore !

There were innumerable highlights during the 2003 and 2004 tours, including the 5-night runs at Red Rocks in Colorado; guest performances by Steve Winwood, Willie Nelson, Branford Marsalis, and many more; the 3-set shows at Jones Beach, NY in '03; and the shows from The Gorge, WA where the scenic beauty always seemed impose its special effect on the music. All wonderful memories. All now available for the last time!

We are hopeful that the "core four" surviving members of the band will decide to perform together again, and that MunckMusic will bring you the recordings of these shows when they take place. In the meantime, we will continue our work to record and market more great bands and music festival performances such as Bob Weir and RatDog, Bruce Hornsby, Little Feat, and over 100 performances from the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, and more - all available at www.munckmusic.com.

In closing, all of us at MunckMusic want to extend a heartfelt "thank you" for your interest in The Dead's recordings over the past four years, and for thereby helping to spearhead a whole new way for bands and artists to market their music. Thanks to you, good music and good memories will live on for a long, long, time.

And the fields are full of dancing

Full of singing and romancing

The music never stopped

Thank you!

Peer Munck

President, MunckMix. Inc.

service@munckmusic.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there's more than enough GD music from 1965 to 1995 to sink my ears into for the rest of my days. Sometimes, there's something to be said for just saying "that's done" and walking away. I never heard anything from the post-GD "Dead" line-ups that challenged that perspective for me.

Phil & Friends have laid down some monster stuff, though, although I never caught the enthusiasm for either Warren Haynes nor Jimmy Herring. I really dig the 1999 shows with Page and Trey, and then the more recent ones with Ryan Adams or John Scofield.

For me, the Grateful Dead as a band died amid the squabbles over guitars, merchandising, downsizing, outsourcing and the occasional heartless sentiment from an agitated and (probably) inebriated band member or three. The dream is over.

Deadheads, on the other hand, continue to inspire with or without the band's current vision and leadership. G-d bless 'em!

(except Albany '03!)

I think you mean '02

I loved that conglomeration as well. JimmyFuckingRedHerring. If Hornsby was also in that band' date=' look out.

'98 was pretty cool too.........

[/quote']

Yes that is what I mean..that was the only post Jerry show that got me. Not suprisingly, ti was the only one to feature both Mickey and Billy that I saw. And technically they were still "the Other Ones" at that point. I really hated when they changed their name to "The Dead"...so fuckin' lame.

It has been time to move on for a while.

11/16/02 Albany

I: Cold Rain and Snow, Estimated Prophet, Crazy Fingers, Good Lovin, The Eleven, Little Red Rooster, Casey Jones

II: Scarlet Begonias, Fire on the Mountain, Uncle John's Band, Lost Sailor, Saint of Circumstance, Terrapin Station

E: One More Saturday Night

11/16/02 Albany

I: Cold Rain and Snow, Estimated Prophet, Crazy Fingers, Good Lovin, The Eleven, Little Red Rooster, Casey Jones

II: Scarlet Begonias, Fire on the Mountain, Uncle John's Band, Lost Sailor, Saint of Circumstance, Terrapin Station

E: One More Saturday Night

I had a lot of fun at this show. Still remember the entire arena belting out that final "Terrapin!" And all the dudes near the washrooms watching the NCAA football. Such a classic 2nd set.

there's more than enough GD music from 1965 to 1995 to sink my ears into for the rest of my days. Sometimes, there's something to be said for just saying "that's done" and walking away. I never heard anything from the post-GD "Dead" line-ups that challenged that perspective for me.

Phil & Friends have laid down some monster stuff, though, although I never caught the enthusiasm for either Warren Haynes nor Jimmy Herring. I really dig the 1999 shows with Page and Trey, and then the more recent ones with Ryan Adams or John Scofield.

For me, the Grateful Dead as a band died amid the squabbles over guitars, merchandising, downsizing, outsourcing and the occasional heartless sentiment from an agitated and (probably) inebriated band member or three. The dream is over.

Deadheads, on the other hand, continue to inspire with or without the band's current vision and leadership. G-d bless 'em!

marco,

thank you. you generally have a very level-headed perspective on things, and your quoted comments are evidence of that.

for me, it all kind of came unwound when i heard bobby's comments about the archive debacle.

"you know those information just wants to be free, maaan whiny tone> people? well...see ya!" (umm...bob...your songwriting partner is the leader of the "information wants to be free" people). :P

i am happy to have 30 years of music to listen to, and would happily check out phil if he comes to canada, but otherwise this news leaves me unaffected.

yeah, but treating them like the real band and selling recordings of shows just seems so odd to me.

That's a ludicrous statement. "...treating them like a real band"? Are they not a group of talented musicians who get together and play music? Am I missing something here? It seems to me that's what constitutes being a 'real' band. Your definition must be different.

yeah' date=' but treating them like the real band and selling recordings of shows just seems so odd to me.[/quote']

That's a ludicrous statement. "...treating them like a real band"?

Note that he said "treating them like the real band" (implying The Grateful Dead) not "a real band".

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Added quote.