Jambands.ca

Another Soup For Mike (The White, Ethnic Food Guru) Bouchard

AcidNintendoOrgan

Curried Ontairo Squash Soup with Roasted Bananas & Squash Seed Pesto

Saw the chicken stock and had to experiment

1 Ontario Squash (butternut, butter cup etc) peeled, and cubed. Reserve seeds, then soak seeds in water and drain

2 bananas

1 can thick coconut milk

1 large bedalia or spanish onion, chopped

1 carrot, peeled and chopped

2 tsp curry powder (if ou want to make your own, there is a recipe at the end)

3 cups Ms. Hux Chicken Stock

coarse salt and pepper

1 Tbsp brown sugar

2 Tbsp olive oil

2 cloves garlic

Preheat oven to 380F. Toss chopped squash with oil, salt, pepper and sugar. Place on tray with bananas (unpeeled) and raost until tender. Saute onion and carrot until soft and add garlic. Add roasted squash and banana pulp (what's left inside peels once cooled), stir in curry powder. Add stock and cocnut milk. Bring up to a boil stirring occasionally. Puree

Pesto

1 bunch basil (1 cup"ish")

3 cloves garlic

1/4 cup veg oil

1/4 cup olive oil

1/3 cup (about what would be reserved from squash) squash seeds toasted (in oven or in dry pan)

coarse salt and pepper

1/4 parmesan cheese

pinch fresh or grated nutmeg

Triple wash basil and remove stems. In a food processor place basil, garlic and pulse. Turn machine on full and gradually add oils one at a time to emulsify. Stop machine and add seeds salt and pepper (to taste), cheese and nutmeg. Pulse to blend.

Pour soup into serving bowls and top with pesto. Garnish, however the f you want.

Curry Powder (Ho'made bitches)

1/2 cup corriander seed

1/4 cup cumin seed

2 Tbsp black mustard sed

2 Tbsp black peppercorns

1 Tbsp fennel (anise) seed

1/2 tsp cloves, ground

1/4 garam masala (indian shops :) )

1/4 cup turmeric (personnally I f'in hate this stuff, it tastes like shit but it has curcumin which has many anti-oxidents and........it's pretty essential in true homemade Indian cuisine.

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Lightly toast corriander, cumin, mustard, pepper, fennel and clove in a dry pan until aromatic. Grind in coffee grinder (That's a bud buster for the wookies out there) Mix with the rest of ingredients and store in an air tight container.

Have fun with this one Bouche! a a lot of work it seems, but it'll really impress the in-laws!

eaaaaaaasy taaaaaasty soup I made last night...

2 qt Chicken broth; strained

1/2 c Raw long grain white rice

2 Whole eggs or egg yolks

2 Lemons; (juice only)

-Salt

Bring the broth to a full boil in a soup kettle. Gradually add the

rice, stirring constantly until the broth boils again. Reduce the

heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is just tender, not mushy, 12

to 14 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm while preparing

avgolemono. Beat the eggs for 2 minutes. Continue to beat, gradually

add the lemon juice. Slowly add some of the hot broth to the

egg-lemon mixture, beating steadily. Stir the mixture into the soup

and cook over minimum heat, without boiling, until the soup thickens

to coat a spoon. Taste for salt, and keep warm over hot water until

ready to serve.

The more complicated the recipe the more Mike and I want to make it. We love spending 2-4 hours on a yummy meal. No sarcasm.

Food is sexy. Preparing meals while sipping wine is fun. Enjoying a meal that you made from scratch that rivals any restaraunt is priceless!

We'll be trying that bad boy soup soon. Thanks for sharing it.

HOMEMADE CURRY POWDER! YEAH!!!!

While taking in the audiobook on my iPod of Anthony Bourdain, he briefly mentions a book by Jacques Pépin called Les Techniques (or something). I decided to search Amazon and found an english version called Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques and decided to order it.

Seems that whenever I need to find a pro way to do something, he would be the guy to turn to.

HOMEMADE CURRY POWDER! YEAH!!!!

While taking in the audiobook on my iPod of Anthony Bourdain, he briefly mentions a book by Jacques Pépin called Les Techniques (or something). I decided to search Amazon and found an english version called Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques and decided to order it.

Seems that whenever I need to find a pro way to do something, he would be the guy to turn to.

Another very cool (but somewhat unpracticle due to the fact it is THE hardcore french culinary bible) book is Le Repertiore de La Cuisine . I think it's published by Barron's. Jaques Pepin and George Lang do the forwards and "how the book is to be used" sections.