Jambands.ca

Peterborough in the Fall

DevO

Here's a sneak preview of what's going on so far at The Trasheteria in Peterborough this Fall. Not too shabby eh?

September

2 - Slammin Jack

5 - Threat From Outer Space

9 - Blue Quarter

16 - Pocket Dwellers*

19 - The Sadies

23 - Wax Mannequin

25 - Warsaw Pack*

October

14 - Constantines*

16 - Luther Wright & Wrongs

19 - Tegan and Sara*

26 - Po Girl* (Be Good Tanyas side project)

30 - Harry Manx (at Market Hall)

* = to be confirmed

Tegan and Sara are awesome! I caught them at last year's Pride in Ottawa and they blew me away. Two (very cute) twin sisters who are incredibly talented musicians and singers. They started out pretty hard but have mellowed and refined in the past two years.

Definitely worth checking out!

i'm working at trent as a research assistant for the summer.... then starting a masters program in sep.- watershed ecosystems - hydrologic modelling .. that's assuming i follow through... serious doubts, but grad studies pays better than any other job i could find with a bsc, so i figure i might as well (?!? [Confused][Frown][Confused] )

what's going on in town this week - anything good? as far as i can tell anything happening is posted on the big event boards around 'downtown' - any other source for info other than KevO's posts (much appreciated by the way)?

since i'm new in town and don't know anyone but the egomaniacs in the science department here (damn scientists piss me off [Mad] - apologies to all the friendly science freaks out there who are of course excepted from the previous statement!) i'm up for hooking up with you peterburgle folk any time.

I haven't heard of too much else going on in town, but keep your eyes on the posters around town on the notice boards, at Night Kitchen, etc. Here's one: The Jim Cuddy Band (of Blue Rodeo) is playing for free at the Festival of Lights on August 16th! Also, check out this rather dry but resourceful page called Quid Novis.

This past Friday we saw a good show at Cosmic Charlie's -- a Canadian blues guitarist/harp player/ singer named Michael Pickett. Intimate show (as always with Cosmic CHarlie's) and quite moving.

Earthfreak, have you been doing work in Bobcaygeon (sp) on that eco-island that Trent owns?

Once school is back in the town will be flooded with students and you'll meet the whole crew I am sure! I'll let you know if I hear of something good goin' on.

P-Stick, not sure about the all ages shows.. You'd have to ask Ratski.

quote:

Originally posted by tonyrage:

Man, and you guys already have the original Kawartha dairy near by. Screw you guys, you have it too good up there.

That's some fine milk!!!

I don't even know where I can pick it up in town though. I know Price Chopper doesn't have it!

quote:

i'm up for hooking up with you peterburgle folk any time.

earthfreak: i dont do anything but sit around all day, and with the summer here and all i got plenty of time, so anytime bro. we should hit some shows together

theres no music realy this week as far as i know, except for maybe moodswings who have a regular spot at elements some night of the week (i cant remember which), but the new noam chomsky film is playing at cinema 379 on george.

on august 8th im playing a show with one of my bands at the gordon best, you should check it out.

hopefully i get to see you around!

I love all those bands. I have to disagree that Tegan and Sara are in fact brutally bad. My girlfriend by the way is in total agreement so it's not a guy thing. If you want to laugh your ass off play Trees back to back with Ween's Pizza Hut commercial:'where'd the trees/cheese go'. The lady was just out west and went to see them in Victoria (only because everyone she was with insisted) and the cheese factor was fully confirmed.

I haven't heard Tegan and Sara before, but I've only heard good reviews. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Very happy to see Harry Manx will be in town - never seen him before. Aaahhhh I can hardly wait for the scene to pick up here in peterpatch. Anyone see those signs around town for the hip hop show tonight (tuesday) - any idea if it'll be worth checking out? (sorry I can't remember any details like names and such [Roll Eyes][Confused] )

quote:

Originally posted by earthfreak:

Anyone see those signs around town for the hip hop show tonight (tuesday) - any idea if it'll be worth checking out?

Yeah I noticed that, not sure who's playing though...

I'll be checking out this movie at Cinema 379 tonight called Amandla! A Revolution in Four Part Harmony.

-

Lee Hirsch spent nine years putting together the ambitious documentary Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony. The film records the history of music being used as a form of social protest against Apartheid in South Africa. Interviews and archival footage help to tell the tales of figures like Hugh Masekela, Miriam Makeba, Abdullah Ibrahim, and Vuyisile Mini. Mini's songs became such a powerful social force that his remains were exhumed and reburied in order to show proper respect after the end of Apartheid. This look at political oppression and the courage required to fight it was screened at the 2002 Sundance Film Festival.

Archived