Jambands.ca

Guelph Jazz Festival Sept. 6-10

zero

The lineup this year is really unbelievable and not just in a smarty pants avant garde way. Bell Orchestre, Hylozoists, Torngat, Autorickshaw with Kevin Breit, Steve Coleman, Bill Dixon and on and on.

Seriously check out the program. You really have to look at the Colloquium free performances including Chicago meets Montreal and Greg Tate's keynote (Village Voice, New York Times, Roling Stone). Really quite impressive.

Damn, that festival looks great! I wish I was around for it. Black Ox Orkestar looks interesting. NYC klezmer trumpet player and session man Frank London would have been a perfect addition to this lineup.. Especially with his band the Klezmer Brass Allstars. Maybe that would've made it too good.

what day is the kevin breit?

i just realized that velvet and i'll be in toronto for tom petty on the friday, so maybe we can go to guelph on the saturday! would be fun.

:)

oh i see there's a link above, nevermind!

Here is the schedule, easier to find what you're looking for.

Edited by Guest

Jazz Fest takes some serious dedication as many of the best shows are the early morning ones. You have to imagine that you have an international and local contingent of fans, not unlike the Musique Actuelle festival in Victoriaville, that are diehard. Every shows packed and rightly so. Every year I sleep on just one act because I think they sound lame and it turns out to be the festival highlight. This year truly is off the charts.

If you're wondering about free shows everything in the day at the Macdonald Stewart Art Centre (MSAC) is totally free. If it says workshop it's a performance, panel discussion is of course talking. Also the Saturday all day at the tent, which isn't in front of City Hall this year but on Upper Wyndham right downtown in the square. Anyways at the tent you can catch like Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band (w. Dave Wall from the Bourbon Tabernacle Choir), Hylozoists and shit I can't remember who else. That shit's all free and there's beer.

Hamid Drake is for sure the shit...(next to a few others but way up there).

hope to see you there.

And damn yes-zero, agreed, doing all of jazz fest is bloody hard and I have heard many attendees say - "geez..I hardly had time to eat" - hmmm maybe that means there is a market for someone to sell some head lot burritos!

Those late night shows won't be as good as you think. That jazz around town stuff is always a bit iffy. The AIM guys are good and it's a great free show but the international stuff will be going on simultaneously at other venues.

oh really? bummer...well I will have to see, I am particulary happy about the free part that is the late night stuff...although if you could recommend some of the other pay shows that I may enjoy better that would be groovy?

The two best late night shows both at 11:30 (Friday and Saturday respectively) are Sao Paolo Underground and Bell Orchestre- both at Mitchell Hall behind St. George's Church (next to the pedestrian bridge over the Speed River). Sao Paolo will likely be intense on the ears but don't expect a throwdown, the audiences are very stuffy and dead quiet- they try to encourage dancing sometimes but it's like salmon upstream. I understand Sao Paolo can veer towards groovy territories (same with Torngat).

Best FREE bet. Drum and Bass - Hamid Drake and Joelle Leandre 2 pm Sunday Guelph Youth Music Centre. Trust me Hamid is one of the finest free jazz, hell just in general, percussionists on the planet and Joelle is a monster too. Weirdness recorded her show with India Cooke last year and it was so good (the show and the recording) they made it into an official release. It was one of if not his favourite show of the festival.

All my tips....

anyone feel like there is something I missed that I for sure should go to....(although wednesday and thursday and friday day time are out other than 3pm on friday).

THURSDAY September 07

11:30pm, SGAC

Torngat (QC) in Mitchell Hall

General $22; LW/ST/SR $17

FRIDAY September 08

3pm, MSAC • FREE

WORKSHOP: Montréal Meets Chicago

Featuring: Thierry Amar, Patrick Conan, Scott Gilmore, Gabriel Levine, Rob Mazurek, and Jessica Moss

8pm, SGAC • DOUBLE BILL

Bill Dixon & Joëlle Léandre (USA/FRANCE) in the Sanctuary

Hard Rubber Orchestra (BC) in Mitchell Hall

General $32; LW/ST/SR $27

Sponsored by Canada Council for the Arts

São Paulo Underground (Rob Mazurek, Mauricio Takara, Richard Ribeiro,Guilherme Granado) in Mitchell Hall (BRAZIL/USA)

SATURDAY September 09

10:30am, GYMC

Paul Plimley, Tommy Babin & Hamid Drake (BC/USA)

2:30 pm, GYMC • DOUBLE BILL

Larry Ochs, Peggy Lee & Miya Masaoka (USA/BC)

FAB Trio (Joe Fonda,Barry Altschul & Billy Bang) (USA)

General $27; LW/ST/SR $22

Upper Wyndham Street Jazz Tent • FREE

6pm The Hylozoists (NS/ON)

8pm, Main Stage, RRC

György Szabados & Vladimir Tarasov ( HUNGARY/LITHUANIA)

Steve Coleman & The Five Elements (USA)

General $37; LW/ST/SR $30

Sponsored by The Bookshelf

Bell Orchestre (QC) in Mitchell Hall

Sponsored by School of Fine Art and Music and the Central Student Association, University of Guelph

SUNDAY September 10

2pm, GYMC • FREE

WORKSHOP: Drum and Bass

Featuring: Hamid Drake & Joëlle Léandre

7pm, GYMC

autorickshaw with Kevin Breit & Trichy Sankaran (ON)

I'd have to agree with all your pics Tash (as expected). I think Black Ox Orkestar and Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band will also be promising (Flying Bulgar I love because Dave Wall from the Bourbons is in the group and he's such a fine fine vocalist and human being).

I also from some of the research I've been doing think that Steve Coleman and Five Elements sounds particularly engaging. I hope to interview him this week.