Jambands.ca

QotD 2006-09-07: Voyaging Vicariously with Velvet

bradm

In the last couple of years, our wandering minstrel Velvet has travelled to and written about Peru, Newfoundland, and (most recently) Scandanavia. Today's question is: To what part of the world should Velvet go next, and why? (An optional sub-question would be: What should his mode of transportation be?)

As far as I know, Velvet has also spent time in Southeast Asia (Thailand?), done several cross-Canada trips (when he was managing and touring with nero), and driven across the USA. These trips weren't logged the way his recent ones have been, so they (or trips including them) are fair game to be included.

I vote for Japan, ideally an end-to-end trip by bicycle (similar to what Will Ferguson documents in his wonderful book, Hokkaido Highway Blues). I've been to Japan (my brother lived there from 1988-2003, and I spent two weeks with him in 2001), and think that Velvet's willingness to deeply interact with the locals, combined with the (friendly) fascination the Japanese have with foreigners, could be a lot of fun to read about, especially with the language differences. While certain supplies may be difficult to acquire while there, they sell beer and whisky from vending machines, so it might balance out...

Aloha,

Brad

i vote for an overlanding tour of northern africa and the meditteranean coast.. mode of travel: shitty bus that will most likely break down repeatedly, get stuck in mud, lose a tire or two, etc. i once lived with an australian guy who conducted these overlanding tours and the stories are unfuckingbelievable.

In all seriousness I think I would visit Iran now while you still have a chance. A friend of mine went for a month in June and said it was one of the best trips he's ever had, namely because the hospitality industry is bending over backward to keep what few Western tourist are there happy.

So much history and archaelogical wonder that is surely on the brink of being destroyed...it would be nice to see it before it's gone.

Libya has re-opened it's doors and evidently is quite cheap and interesting for much the same reason.