Jambands.ca

Environmental Help Needed

\/\/illy

Our neighbour is telling us that all our Dogwood's are going to die unless we spray them with Diazinon.

did your neighbour tell you why? Dogwood disease? Are his/her Dogwoods all dead? Do they sell Diazinon for a living ;)

Edit: I found this message board that might help

Edited by Guest

HELP!!!

Our neighbour is telling us that all our Dogwood's are going to die unless we spray them with Diazinon. We really don't want to be spraying weird chemicals all over the place but would probably also prefer not to have a bunch of dead plants on the property (we have enough of those already.) Does anyone know an alternative?

I have no idea what Diazinon is, but would you really be spraying ALL OVER THE PLACE, or just on the dogwood? I don't even know what dogwood is, but I'm trying to build some perspective.

did your neighbour tell you why?

Well, they said the ones next to us are dying of 'scales' and that it spreads very quickly and kills. They're nice plants so I'd prefer to keep them alive. However, I'm really not a fan of adding more chemicals to the air and earth in Hamilton (or any city for that matter).

stop being so gay and cut down those flowers, i had a few old vw parts and a nice fridge that would look great in there place.

no seriously i'll ask my friend for you he works in a garden center. and its about time you called me. are you and the lady gonna be in town anytime soon. I wana have you over to the new place for some dinner, and to meet my new puppy ( thats not starving )

maybe if you want the next time your working in newmarket you could crash here. i live at the 404 and steeles, and it would obly take you like 15 min to get there, and i have beer on tap. and that really good guiness cheese leane showed me

i like the fact that you came here asking for alternatives, rather than just spraying right away. (let me guess, your neighbour also has their lawn sprayed by WeedMan 3x a year too?) i avoid chemicals on my lawn whenever possible (and diazinon sounds pretty nasty).

personally, i'll live with some dandelions or a few dead plants, rather than contributing to the poisioning of local water sources and/or local wildlife - my humble version of "thinking globally, acting locally". (re: the dogwood, no idea, sorry).

Oh Jesus Christ people it was a fair question....there's no need to jump all over a neighbour who merely offered advice and convict them of being anti-environmentalists.

I'm not pro-pesticide but their dangers have as much to do with misapplication as it does usage.

At least localcrew managed to buck the burnout stereotype by answering the fucking question.

i like the fact that you came here asking for alternatives, rather than just spraying right away. (let me guess, your neighbour also has their lawn sprayed by WeedMan 3x a year too?) i avoid chemicals on my lawn whenever possible (and diazinon sounds pretty nasty).

personally, i'll live with some dandelions or a few dead plants, rather than contributing to the poisioning of local water sources and/or local wildlife - my humble version of "thinking globally, acting locally". (re: the dogwood, no idea, sorry).

I don't understand why you would even bother posting this message if you have no idea what diazinon is, or how to answer Willy's question?

Nematodes and bacillus thuringiensis sound scary too, good thing they were used to grow your organic broccoli hippie.

from Clemson Ag Extension web page (courtesy google)

Scales: Several scale insects are pests of dogwood. Scales are unusual insects in appearance. They are small and immobile, with no visible legs. Scales vary in appearance depending on age, sex and species. ey may be found on leaves or stems and look like mall brownish, grayish or blackish bumps. They feed on sap by piercing the leaf or stem with their mouthparts and sucking. If infestations are very heavy, they may cause leaf yellowing, stunting or branch dieback. Adult scales are relatively protected from insecticides by their waxy covering. However, immature forms, called crawlers, are susceptible.

Control: For heavy infestations, spray with horticultural oil in the spring to kill some adults and eggs by smothering them. Oil should be applied before new growth begins and again after flowering. Be sure to thoroughly coat all of the branches. Avoid using insecticides unless the plant is very valuable and in serious danger from scale.

Insecticides will often kill the naturally occurring enemies of scale. If insecticides are going to be used, spray when crawlers are observed. Monitor the crawler emergence with sticky cards, double-faced tape wrapped around a branch, or by putting an infested shoot or leaf into a baggie and watching for crawler movement. Crawler activity often coincides with the flush of new plant growth in the spring. However, some scale species may have overlapping generations with an extended crawler emergence period, such as along the coast. Insecticides labeled for use by homeowners against scale crawlers on dogwood include cyfluthrin (Bayer Advanced Garden Power Force Multi-Insect Killer Concentrate), permethrin (Spectracide Bug Stop Multi-Purpose Insect Control Concentrate), malathion (Ferti-lome Mal-A-Cide, or

Hi-Yield Malathion Insect Spray), and carbaryl (Sevin 50WP or Ferti-lome Carbaryl Spray). Repeat treatments in 10 days. Read and follow all label instructions and precautions.

looks like horticultural oil is the way to go.

I don't understand why you would even bother posting this message if you have no idea what diazinon is, or how to answer Willy's question?

Wow, are you serious? You seem to have really misread my post. I praised Willy for asking, I wasnt being sarcastic. And yes, I do actually know what diazinon is - and its dangerous. I just didnt think it necessary to haul out the US Dept of Labour, Material Safety Data Sheet. Diazinon WAS a common, commercially available, topically applied (powder), neuro-organic pesticide. It is a suspected carcinogen, associated with respiratory illnesses, potentially fatal in high dose, and in most compounds, has already been banned in many jurisdictions, including some in Canada and the US. Along with 2,4-D, it is often referenced as one of the more problematic substances still in use on commercial, and some residential, properties today. Most recent studies of residential, cosmetic pesticide use will reference it near the top of their lists. I didnt think I needed to say all this (or mention the fact that my Master's thesis focused on remediation of an industrially-toxified, potable aquifer).

My admission of ignorance was about alternative treatment of dogwood, not the toxicity of diazinon. I thought it was clear that the purpose of my post was to praise his asking for alternative treatments.

And I am not accusing anyone of being anti-environment, including his neighbour. People become accustomed to using various substances, and I have no doubt his neighbour was being supportive without realizing the dangers of the chemical.

But, please accept my apology for not staying ON topic - like your post. Jeesh, indeed.