Jambands.ca

upgrade news

bouche

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed a problem that comes once in a while, but not always: in some of the posts I make, particularly those with URLs or smileys in them, the blank line I leave between the last line of the main part of the post and the "Aloha, Brad" sign-off isn't being displayed. It's there if you edit the post or quote it, but not when it's displayed. If I put two blanks in, only one gets displayed.

I also recall this happening ('way back when) with lists, when the first blank after the end of the list wouldn't get displayed.

Aloha,

Brad

this confuses me. If you can find me an example and I'll look at the post in edit mode.

I think I figured it out: for a smiley to be recognized (and converted from its text form to the graphic), there has to be a whitespace before and after the smiley. For example, ( :) ) will be recognized as a smiley, while (:)) will not.

But when a recognized smiley gets processed, the trailing (but not the preceding) whitespace gets "eaten" by the processing (look at the recognized smiley above: it's flush up against the closing parenthesis, even though there was a blank between the text form of the smiley and the parenthesis itself when I typed it), which in the case of a newline means the next blank line get eliminated.

Aloha,

Brad

Just thought I'd post this for you bouche, it occurs when I refresh or first access the site, happened yesterday & a few times today. I wouldn't bring it up (as I know it can cause issues) but since it keeps saying database error I figure you'd like to know.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3641/untitledfs2.jpg

[edit to add]

Also I keep getting this error with each post:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/jambands/public_html/sanctuary/newpost.php on line 738

Just thought I'd post this for you bouche, it occurs when I refresh or first access the site, happened yesterday & a few times today. I wouldn't bring it up (as I know it can cause issues) but since it keeps saying database error I figure you'd like to know.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3641/untitledfs2.jpg

[edit to add]

Also I keep getting this error with each post:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/jambands/public_html/sanctuary/newpost.php on line 738

I've noticed the Invalid Arguement error, and I did get that DATABASE ERROR the other night (sunday?), but it went away shortly so I figured it was a server problem.

Anyone else getting the DATABASE ERROR?