Jambands.ca

Much To Broadcast 11 Hours of Stones SARS Con

Mr. Musicface

from http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2003/07/2502.cfm

Friday July 25, 2003 @ 01:00 PM

It’s an all-too-familiar phenomenon in Toronto these days: people want to see the much-hyped Rolling Stones concert at Downsview Park next week (July 30), but they don’t want to deal with everything that comes along with the experience. The lineups, the crowds, the heat, the overflowing port-o-potties… Well, now there is an alternative to seeing Mick and friends rock out in person. Yes, you guessed it – the concert extravaganza will be broadcast live on MuchMoreMusic. That’s 11 hours of footage, event highlights, backstage interviews, and other MuchMusic features. Basically, it gives you full access to the show (and much more than you’d see if you attend in person), but you don’t have to leave your living room.

The coverage will begin at noon ET on July 30. The first nine hours will include live on-site updates from Downsview Park interspersed with band profiles and interviews. At 9 p.m. the special will wrap up with two hours of concert highlights, selected from various performances throughout the day.

The most recent rumour that’s flying around, as reported in the Toronto Sun earlier today, is that Paul McCartney and Christina Aguilera may be making surprise appearances at the show. It wouldn’t be too surprising to see Aguilera hit the stage, as her schedule is currently in sync with Justin Timberlake’s. The two pop idols are on the road together promoting their new albums, Stripped and Justified and will play Toronto the night before the big SARS show.

At last count, approximately 405,000 tickets have already been sold for the Rolling Stones concert, and there are still more available. The concert, originally scheduled to kick off at 1:30 p.m., has been pushed back to noon in order to ensure that there will be sufficient time for all 15 performers. The second half of the show, featuring Justin, The Guess Who, Rush, AC/DC and the Stones, has also been pushed back from a 5:45 p.m. starting time to 5 p.m., with the Stones planning to wrap things up by 11.

—Megan O’Toole

No offence, but who cares? The Stones suck now, as does EVERY other band playing this festival. Plus it's Muchmusic, possibly the cheesiest channel in the history of Canadian television (and that's saying something!). I'm so grateful I have to work 3pm - midnight that night so I won't have to even think about this horrible night of "music". I'm still glad T.O. will get some coin out of this whole thing, don't get me wrong... just really disappointed at the "talent" (or the lack thereof) on this bill. Don't want to miss Sass Jordan or Justin Timberlake... I hope this night passes quickly and without much fanfare, I'm already sick of hearing about this...

quote:

Originally posted by Del-Head:

The Stones suck now, as does EVERY other band playing this festival.

Hey, I don't know about the rest of the bill but Rush, AC/DC and Blue Rodeo definitely DO NOT suck. (Stupid no-taste-idiot-Rush haters can say what they want, BTW, they're still one of the greatest things, musical or otherwise this country ever produced, period.) Oh, and the Guess Who can still tear it up pretty good despite being well past their prime.

Say what you want about the Stones, I tend to agree that they should have packed it in ages ago, but hey whatever, they're the big ticket and it'll hopefully be good press for the city. And hell, if I was gonna be in town for this, I'd much rather watch the thing on TV than fight the hordes.

- M.

AC/DC, the Stones, Blue Rodeo, Rush, Kathleen Edwards (Ottawa Girl), the Guess Who, FLAMING fucking LIPS do not suck. I'll be at this show, and I'll be proud to help out other fellow Canadians in need, be them hotel owners, beef farmers, Toronto nurses, cab drivers, whatever.

Not to mention all this for $20... Nice to see some high-profile acts and bands come to the aid of us. Why bite the hand...

A lot of people I know in TO have felt the crunch of the SARS outbreak and if this can help, why knock it?

ad

Yup, Toronto has certainly felt a hit as a result of SARS, no doubt about it. I know many people who have lost their jobs bccuase of the lack of tourism to the city and I know many businesses will take a big loss as well. If this festival in any way helps those industries, than I am all for it. However, even if I did live in Toronto, I wouldn't attend because it's not my bag of music and I hate large crowds. But shit, more power to those who are psyched to go and good for Much Music for gaining the right to cover the event for those agoraphobics who can't make it.

Oh hell yeh, I forgot about Flaming Lips, yes also pretty damn far away from sucking, thanks for the reminder AD!

I'm gonna be in Vegas for this, I'm personally really curious what kind of coverage this thing is gonna get in the States, since the whole idea is as a publicity stun for the city. I know when we were in Indiana for Phish, NOT ONE of the Americans we talked to had heard about the show, although all of them as sure has hell had heard about SARS.

- M.

quote:

(Stupid no-taste-idiot-Rush haters can say what they want,

they reek [Razz] i just cant dig geddy lee's voice, the music isnt half bad,, someo of its pretty cheeseball with all teh synths, but theyre not bad,, 3 ourra 5 stars, better rating without geddy singing lol

if i was gonna go id be going to see guess who, acdc, flaming lips, probably the stones, but i would leave early to beat the rush. thats about it, maybe blue rodeo too, they have some good tunes.

hey del-head...justin timberlake does not suck. listen to the radio single and tell me it's not a tight, in the pocket groove, danceable soul/r&b masterpiece.

lathleen edwards is on the bill...AWESOME!

flaming lips AWESOME!

the rest...i'd be socializing during most of those sets but 3 killer sets you won't find at a price anywhere else?? sure you mkight be sick about hearing about it because it's popular but i'm sure you've got a couple of friends that have gotten sick of you raving about your music that they might not give their 2 shits about. i'm sure it's happened in the past. suck it up buddy!

[Razz]

That's nice. [Roll Eyes]

I'm with Del-head on this one. Mick Jagger is a dancing raisin in a mesh shirt. No dignity. A corporate shill.

Already people have equated criticism of the line-up with criticism of the event. I think the line-up is awful, for the most part, but I also hope it's massively succesful for the city.

I just hope no-one dies. Seriously!

Archived