Jambands.ca

Everything Pink

AdamH

Interesting article in marketing magazine about the Pink Ribbon Breast Cancer campaign and the thousands of corporate sponsors who are creating a "pink" line in support of the cause. The argument is that more and more companies are jumping on the pink bandwagon to sell products and boost their image as socially responsible corporations. Because it's so hip to be pink other charities are losing out.

The writer asks "Why doesn't Mattel have heart disease barbie? Lung Cancer Barbie? Bulimia Barbie?"

Edited by Guest

The writer asks "Why doesn't Mattel have heart disease barbie? Lung Cancer Barbie? Bulimia Barbie?"

Scoliosis Barbie? Kyphosis Ken would go along with it, too. (Scoliosis is a side-to-side curve in the spine, and is mostly seen in young/teenage girls. Kyphosis is a forward [back-to-front] curve in the spine, and is mostly seen in young/teenage boys. I had kyphosis in high school, and wore a neck-to-waist back brace for about two years [most of the day, and overnight] in high school.)

Aloha,

Brad

I'm a glass blower and I make lots of beads and pendants. Recently a bead store asked me to make some pink ribbon beads and pendants.

At first I wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to do because this person wanted them to make a profit. So I felt weird about it because then I too would be making money because of a disease. My Nana died because of breast cancer and it just didn't feel like the right thing to do.

What I have been thinking about is making the beads, selling them myself, and donating all the money to a fund in my Nana name, for breast cancer research.

I don;t think this is something I would have thought to do on my own, but since people are asking me to make them, I thought this would be the best way to handle it.

What do you guys think?

Another option would be to make them for (and sell them to) this other person, but take all the money you make and give it to charity. This may be better if this other person can sell a lot more of them than you can. You might also try negotiating with this person, and try to get him/her to reduce his/her margins, or donate proceeds to charity (which could be a promotional point).

Aloha,

Brad