Jambands.ca

Attempting homemade pizzas

bradm

I went shopping today, and needing to fill in a couple of empty spaces in my dinners this week, decided to try homemade pizzas. I bought whole wheat pitas, aged provolone cheese, some back bacon, cherry tomatoes, a Hungarian pepper, and some button mushrooms.

My plan is to split the pitas not into semi-circular pockets, but across them edgewise, making two full circles. I have some tomato sauce which I'll use as a base, then pile on the above ingredients, probably with oregano, basil, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (and/or hot sauce). (I'll also whip up a salad and serve it all with a nice red wine. :) )

My big question is what temperature to cook them at, and for how long. I can fit them in my toaster oven (which I prefer to my big oven), so will probably just set them on the rack (as opposed to a tray). The bread doesn't need to cook, but I'd like the stuff on top to get melted and maybe browned a bit. Can anybody offer some advice?

Aloha,

Brad

I did them in the toaster oven last night, in oven mode at 425F, but thought about just toasting them. I'll give that a try next time. (Tonight, I'm thinking about pitas stuffed with a scrambled egg mixture: onions, Hungarian pepper, cheese, cherry tomotoes, provolone cheese.)

Aloha,

Brad

I'm not sure if you have a toaster oven, but if you do, cook the pita pizza on the toaster setting - hit the toaster switch twice - you should leave the pita on the pan too.

I've done that a couple of times now (including the toast-twice thing), and it works as good as (if not better than) using the oven setting. I've done them on the tray and just on the rack, and found one advantage to doing them on the rack: my new smoke detectors work just fine...

Aloha,

Brad

But I have never understood why veggie food manufacturers intentionally make their products to look/seem like meat. Is it to get kids to eat them?

Face it: a lot of our culture and its food is based around meat, and if you became a vegetarian later in life, you grew up exposed to recipes that included meat. Yes, there are tasty vegetarian recipes, but some people want (or need, if they're trying to replicate a particular dish) something that looks, tastes, and cooks like meat, but isn't made from animals. I've used veggie ground round a bunch of times, and think it could be substituted for ground meat in most recipes (e.g., pasta sauce) without any problem, probably without anybody (including meat eaters) noticing.

It's also more convenient: if I'm having a backyard barbecue, and there'll be vegetarian guests, it's easier for me to throw a few tofu veggies dogs/patties on the grill (since I'm cooking hot dogs and hamburgers for my meat-eating guests) than to have to figure out what other (kind of) meal to make for the vegetarians.

Aloha,

Brad