Jambands.ca

Question for the audio tech guys - about mixers

CyberHippie

Thought I'd throw this out there, maybe someone will know...

I'm looking at an old mixer that I want to buy, but the thing that's baffling me is the outputs:

1 left/right lo output

2 left/right hi outputs

So that's three rca cables in total for output. I've never seen anything like this before... I want to be able to send the output to my stereo receiver. Think it's possible? Maybe I'd have to take all three outputs and combine them into one rca cable, and send that to the stereo?

Any ideas?

Here's a pic:

mixered0.jpg

Assuming it's not a powered mixer (i.e., can't be hooked up directly to speakers), I wonder if the "lo" outputs are microphone level, and the "hi" outputs are line level. If you want to hook it up to a stereo receiver, you want line level (which is what cassette decks and CD players put out), so one left/right pair of "hi" outputs would be what you'd use.

Can you test it out?

Aloha,

Brad

I looked at it, and frankly, I'd pass. For not much more than that ($100, say) you could get a new Behringer UB802 or UB1002 which has more inputs and can even handle (phantom-powered) XLR-type microphones. Some of their models even have built-in DSP (for reverb and echo).

The main thing that one has that those Behringer models don't is inputs for turntables, but this one, which has a suggested retail price of CDN$130, looks like it'll do more than that unit.

(Yamaha and Peavey also make small mixers that should be in the same feature/price range as that one.)

Aloha,

Brad

If it's got a couple of vu meters on the top it's probably an old Radio Shack jobbie....hi and low could even be consumer -10dB level vs. pro +4 or broadcast +8....won't be powered as it's on rca's, and the 2x hi outputs will just be parallels so you could send one to a tape deck for recording and one to the speakers/receiver/whatever...

No meters on the top. Pretty sure it's not a radioshack number though.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and grab it. They guy says he had it hooked up to his stereo and it worked fine. I know it's not exactly feature rich, but it does get bonus points for it's cool retro vintage stylings...

Realisticly the difference between $45 and a little over $100 is the difference of me getting a mixer or not. I really just want it for turntables so that will do the trick. Plus I have a 4 channel audio switchbox I'm not using right now, so theoretically I can use that on the aux port and gain a bunch of inputs...

Thanks for your input brad/tungsten

So to make a long story short, I ended up getting the mixer for free along with some free vinyl... Now how's that for a deal? I ended up buying some vinyl off the guy as well for smokin' prices... (he's got tons of cool stuff if anyone is interested).

The mixer works fairly well but has a bit of a wonky power issue. Sometimes it doesn't turn on. But if you move it around a bit it does. I think I just need to get it set up just so and just don't muck with it.

The outputs ended up being 2Hi for amp type devices, and the Lo was for a tape deck. Who knew...

Check it out, she looks so sweet! :D

0J5bbkxjdtVU8rxqHhbPlVra5WEk.jpg