Jambands.ca

Kaigodorov returns to Russia

dave-O

OTTAWA (CP) - The Ottawa Senators suspended centre Alexei Kaigorodov on Saturday for refusing to accept his assignment to the American Hockey League and announced that he planned to return to Russia.

Kaigodorov spent the past five seasons with Magnitogorsk in the Russian Super League.

The 23-year-old was Ottawa's second-round pick, 47th overall, in the 2002 draft. He signed a two-year entry-level contract with the Senators on Sept. 12 and was assigned to Binghamton on Thursday.

In six games with the Senators, Kaigorodov had an assist and was a plus-1 while averaging four minutes 52 seconds of ice time.

Can anybody in Ottawa shed some light on this? I thought that part of deal to get Kaigorodov out of Russia was that he had to stay with the big club. If he got sent to the minors, he would return to Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

I know he never really adjusted to the North American game (and how could he, playing 4 minutes a game?), but you'd think with the Sens' 2nd line woes they would have given him a shot there for a game or two.

Here's an excerpt from yesterday's Citizen to help you ease your troubled mind dave-o:

Off the ice, Alexei Kaigorodov took a page from Alexei Yashin's playbook. He gave Binghamton a refusnik, returned to Russia and was suspended. There was no change in his status yesterday.

Not likely to be, either, until the team he's traded to lifts the suspension.

There have been some memorable snit fits in Senators history before. Chris Phillips and Jason Spezza raised considerable fusses when they were demoted -- Phillips back to his junior team, Spezza to Binghamton of the American Hockey League -- but at least they reported and kept their careers alive.

Here's hoping not too many people got stuck with a No. 55 Kaigorodov sweater.

I thought he couldn't get assigned to Bingo, he'd just return to his Russian club team, as per the conditions of his release from Russia in the first place.

Instead, he was assigned to Bingo, refused to report, went home, and got suspended by the Sens.

Comprendez?

I thought he couldn't get assigned to Bingo, he'd just return to his Russian club team, as per the conditions of his release from Russia in the first place.

That was my understanding as well. But like dinghy said, maybe the Sens figured they'd give it a shot to see if he'd change his mind.