Jambands.ca

The Blue Jays are at it again...

badams

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping any deal with Thomas is incentive oriented instead of guaranteed big money.

With Wells, indication is that he is going to try the free agent waters regardless, and he wouldn't take the money they are allegedly waving at Thomas since he could get more in next year's market. Just look at Sheffield. He's going to get over 14 mil a season when he signs, probably with the Tigs.

The Jays 3 through 5 hitters will be fearce. All 30 HR guys, potentially 40 HR.

Say what you will about JP but he is not a stupid man. The moves he made last year were all pretty solid. I can't see him signing Thomas to $10 mil / yr without thinking he could sign Wells or another big nane free agent.

He would be the biggest idiot in baseball is he signed Thomas realizing he was limiting his ability to sign Wells.

Rogers has a ton of money. Even if the Jay lose money as an organization he can more than finance them. It's an ego thing.

Almost as intriguing as the Thomas signing is what will the Jays do regarding catchers? I know Zahn wants to sign with the Jays and since he is his own agent, he will probably get his wish - at around $5 mil a season... and worth every penny. Who's going to be the main starter?

Almost as intriguing as the Thomas signing is what will the Jays do regarding catchers? I know Zahn wants to sign with the Jays and since he is his own agent, he will probably get his wish - at around $5 mil a season... and worth every penny. Who's going to be the main starter?

I'd be happy if Zahn stayed. He's not a super star but he's a steady player.

And the money that the Jays 'may' be paying for Thomas hardly even registers when compared to what the Red Sox have paid and are going to pay for the services of Japanese pitching phenom Daisuka Matsuzaka - who is an unproven commodity on this side of the pond.

I know. He has a lot of potential and I'm sure will be a good Big League starter but that's a lot of coin.

The Toronto Blue Jays looking to fill a possible gap at the catcher position, have been approached by the agent for catcher Rod Barajas.

"We've talked to them and we like him," Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi tells the Toronto Sun at the baseball meetings going on in Florida.

"Originally, they wanted to talk to us about him. It was our first meeting and it was a good one. We definitely have some interest there."

Barajas hit .256 with 11 homers and 41 RBI's while appearing in 97 games with the Texas Rangers last season. In 2005, he hit a career high 21 homers and 60 RBI's while appearing in 120 games. He was sidelined for 10 games with back problems.

"We knew that both of Toronto catchers were free agents and we thought it would be a good fit. When we mentioned it to Rod he was very interested and considers it to be a good possibility. We didn't talk money today, it's still early in the process."

Clifton is reported to be asking for a minimum 2 year deal for Barajas, in the neighbourhood of his salary from last season at $3.2 million.