Jambands.ca

Harper announces bill to let voters choose senators

bradm

According to

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/12/13/2771207-cp.html

With an eye on a looming election, Prime Minister Stephen Harper is introducing legislation that would let voters choose senators for the first time.

The new law would allow voters to choose preferred candidates to represent their province or territory in the upper chamber in a special polling system run by Elections Canada.

It falls short of actually electing senators, which would require constitutional change, but will provide the prime minister with a gauge of public feeling in making appointments.

See also the CBC report.

Aloha,

Brad

Harper announces bill to let voters choose senators

LOL ... at first I thought he was going to allow fans to pick their Senators ... as in hockey players (they'd do a better job than Muckler ).

It falls short of actually electing senators, which would require constitutional change, but will provide the prime minister with a gauge of public feeling in making appointments.

Hmmmm ... looks like it will "gauge" public feeling, but doesn't mean that the PM is required to follow it though! Am I understanding this correctly? If so, it's not worth the paper it's written on, and is more likely campaign fuel for the upcoming election.

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

You got it. It's just a little window dressing.

Yup ... and there seems to be more and more of it every day. All of it will be used as fodder for the campaign trail. I can just hear Harper addressing the crowds, in that condescending, only-an-idiot-wouldn't-agree-with-me, sort of manner praising these recent moves "he" has made.

I think the response would be the same.

The Cons really haven't stopped campaigning since taking gov't....most of their policies reek of retail politics, ie. dumb everything down for the masses.

ie. the GST cut, ask any economist if such a cut is the best thing for the economy/people, and the list goes on....

The Cons really haven't stopped campaigning since taking gov't....most of their policies reek of retail politics, ie. dumb everything down for the masses.

true.. but can you really blame them? they landed a shoe string minority only because of scandal, in a country that seemed pretty content with never giving them a chance to govern again. i'd raise an eyebrow if they DID stop campaigning.

I guess I'm just confused by their selective application of their "principles" and on second thought the way they have stopped campaigning in a sense on some things only....ie. they make all these ideologically driven cuts that are politically stupid and completely unnecessary from a financial standpoint, then on the other hand they have all their retail political stuff.

ie. they make all these ideologically driven cuts that are politically stupid and completely unnecessary from a financial standpoint,

are you talking about the GST cut here? while it may be completely unnecessary from a financial standpoint, it made some serious sales last election with the general public.

i think a lot of their election platform was looking for an 'in'.

are you talking about the GST cut here?

Nope, I mean the cuts to literacy programs, court challenges program, Status of Women Canada, etc. All minor expenditures in the grand scheme of things, yet announced on the same day they announce a $13.2 billion surplus. Politically dumb to do in a minority gov't.

I totally agree ... too bad that's NOT what Harper is saying (but with slick wordage, he's trying to make it seem)

oh, who cares what he's saying. he could say he's in favour of sending monkeys to mars to search for water (with which i concur) but unless actual legislation is tabled, none of it means jack-sh$t. politics is talking out of the side of one's mouth, almost by definition. i just liked the idea, that's all.

We have a annual surplus... we have a huge debt cumulated over years. Leave it to Conservatives to cut Toothless Liberal Party of Canada programs. Last time I looked at the UN, Canada was right up there with Cuba with 98% Literacy... so we cut the program and it drops to 97%? If even... why make such a big deal over 1%... GST

Hux, I think one thing is very clear from your loyalty to your employers. If it didn't come from the mouth or actions from someone who pledges allegence to the nation of Liberals, then it's not going to be a good idea in your opinion. No wonder you're confused.

You make it sound like they make "all these ideologic cuts", then go on further to say they are "minor things in the grand scheme of things"... sounds like someone still bitter about having a "minor" thing like the sponsorship scandal bring down the liberals. Just the tip of the iceburg when it comes to a party who's greatest skill is talking out of both sides of its mouth at the same time!!!

Wholeheartedly and completely I say to you:

GO FUCK YOURSELF

How DARE you assume that my views are completely based on who signs my cheques?

That is a completely unwarranted attack on me personally, and last I recall we've never met.

I'm happy to bring my point of view to things in here and think my experiece might actually provide a little insight people might appreciate.

Clearly not you. You are ignorant - look it up on Wikipedia if you need clarification you dick.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I just had to post this picture of Dr. Huxtable after playing a Keg Party in the Centre of West Block (So it's still kinda "political").... ON A WEDNESDAY NIGHT!!!! Thanks Libs!!!

Mark Balogh there in the middle... one of my best Friends from Ottawa until he moved back home, and I left a few years ago. I've also seen acouple of Jo's shows since I've been in Toronto. I, unfortunately for jogging your memory, am taking the picture. But it's me in my Avatar!

drhuxtablegang.jpg

It can't have teeth... it's a minority government. But it's a gutsy reform, and would be a benefit to get the ball rolling in terms of having the electorate participate in the process of choosing a Senator. It's a good idea, and it will take a while for our democracy to adjust to it.

As far as I'm concerned, these are the two options for the next election:

Liberals get elected because people are fed up with a toothless government (so sad, but it's clear we can't work together at the moment), and ultimately the Conservatives are judged "too scary", and Dion "does something" about the environment. I don't think that would be a bad thing... but I really hope if/when elected he does something and we don't settle for another 12 years of Status Quo we had when the last Liberal Regieme held it's grip over the Country...

Conservatives get elected because people are fed up with a toothless government, and they do everything they did this term... but take it to the next level. Which I don't see as a bad thing. I think everyday he's in office, Stephen Harper impresses people who want to be impressed. I think there's more of those people than you think Chameleon.

There is a strong possibility that it could end up a minority in any number of ways... but in terms of keeping those who supported him to still suport him, Harper has done very little to lose their captivation... Quebec aside... so yeah, it's dynamic, but in no way 'in the bag' that the 'popular will' of this board is any closer to the anti-harper solution it's looking for.

Myself, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to senate reform. Uncomfortable with a EEE senate (for the reason djmelbatoast mentioned, and others) and resistant to abolishing it.

Some form of change is in order, but I'd rather the reforms come out of a transparent, thorough, non-partisan committee that involved public consultation than a sudden announcement one cold Wednesday morning.

Myself, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to senate reform. Uncomfortable with a EEE senate (for the reason djmelbatoast mentioned, and others) and resistant to abolishing it.

Some form of change is in order, but I'd rather the reforms come out of a transparent, thorough, non-partisan committee that involved public consultation than a sudden announcement one cold Wednesday morning.

I hope it isn't too late to take you up on the marriage proposal you made to me in the holiday symbols thread.

Myself' date=' I'm pretty conservative when it comes to senate reform. Uncomfortable with a EEE senate (for the reason djmelbatoast mentioned, and others) and resistant to abolishing it.

[i']Some form of change is in order, but I'd rather the reforms come out of a transparent, thorough, non-partisan committee that involved public consultation than a sudden announcement one cold Wednesday morning.

I hope it isn't too late to take you up on the marriage proposal you made to me in the holiday symbols thread.

Hamilton for prez.