Jambands.ca

NYE Apology Recipe

AcidNintendoOrgan

I was quite inebriated NYE (as I am sure many of you were). However, I would like to extend my apologies to Bouche, Ms. Hux, and BNB for incessant badgering and all things drunk, drunker and drunkest. Although I do not remember much, friend’s pictures, and a bit of drunken jargon lead me to believe, I was trying to convince Bouche and Ms Hux that a drunken person they had never met should cater their wedding. Well, I can cook! And now that I have sobered up. For you guys a recipe created in apology:

BNB/NYE Gaeng Keo Ngai

Burt Neilson New Year’s Eve Green Curry Chicken

Green Curry Paste

4 Large Thai green chilies, chopped

½ C shallots, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

½ C puréed lemon grass, or zest of lemon

1 Tbsp minced galangal (SPICY ginger)

2 Tsp ground coriander seed

1 Tsp Ground cumin seed

1 Tsp cracked black peppercorns

1 Tsp turmeric

1 Tsp Thai shrimp paste

2 Tsp Veg Oil

Place all ingredients in a cuisine art and blend to a paste. Add extra oil or water if necessary to ease blending. Can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 weeks

Curry

2 C Coconut cream

2 Tbsp fish sauce

3 Tbsp Galangal, minced

3 lbs Chicken, boned and chopped

3 Tbsp green curry paste

2 cups coconut milk

3-pea eggplant, cut into chunks or 1-cup Japanese eggplant cut into chunks

6 lime leaves

½ cup Thai sweet basil

Heat wok over high heat. Add coconut cream, fish sauce, galangal and chicken, and poach until chicken is just cooked. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon. Reduce liquid by half and add curry paste. Stir until incorporated. Add coconut milk and reduce for 10 -15 minutes. Return chicken, add eggplant, and lime leaves. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in basil just before serving. Serve over any rice, millet, or couscous.

Serves 4-6

I'm down with this...hopefully we can do your curry this week! We usually just use the imported paste, but I've always wanted to make our own.

You didn't do anything wrong man. It was a good night to talk about food. We do have a couple of interviews to setup with a couple of local companies and your thoughts on theming will come in handy.

since I already have some of that curry paste from previous entries into Gaeng Keo Ngai land, I'm just going to go with that tonight.

I've noticed that you don't use chicken stock and just coconut cream and milk. I've also never used straight up coconut cream before...aside what comes from the top of a can of the milk. Should be interesting. Oh and I bought my first Galangal root today!

Head's up! Coconut cream and coconut milk make for a finer green curry experience! I can say that it was much easier to season to taste with fish sauce. It must be the fact that there is more fat. Anyway, NO MORE CHICKEN STOCK in thai curries for me!

I also liked the timing of the japanese eggplant to the last 5 minutes of cooking. It was the perfect texture.

I also added Lemongrass to the coconut mixture after I removed the poached chicken and some minced thai chilis to be sure we got the kick.

• 2 weeks later...