Jambands.ca

Tiiu Millistver/ Candace Sepulis cover story

zero

This is my first big cover story where I had a hand in the art direction and whatnot. I haven't read it yet but I presume it was edited well.

Some board content although I wasn't able to mention it in the article Deeps, Brooks and the GoodRev are doing the EP release with Tiiu although they aren't on the album. I attended their rehearsal on the weekend and it sounds good. I would have mentioned them directly, which is what Tiiu would have liked and I would have liked but it was extraneous to the flow and took away from the women in the arts angle.

Gone Are The Days

1863.jpg

it was extraneous to the flow and took away from the women in the arts angle.

You're sexist.

Kidding. That was a great read and I am very happy for these deserving artists.

FYI Mike Brooks (WTTS guitar player) will be playing pedal steel @ this show.

This is a first for him and he's sounding pretty good so far.

Me, I'm getting back in touch with my country roots long put aside since I stopped playing with my Dad's country band when I was 18.

Should be a good show.

I would never have noticed that- the Manor thing. It doesn't lay out that way in print. It's a double gatefold with a nice picture of Candace and Tiiu and other pieces from the collection (Brooklyn Morning, Toronto Streetcar, Coco Theatre). It really worked out great. I was happy with my interpretation of the Toronto Streetcar- it's nice to do fine art criticism which is what I'm sort of formally schooled to do.

I really want to link this Toronto Streetcar picture but understandably it's protected. You can stroll through her portfolio of the new work though and see it in it's vivid colour. I would not be surprised if the TTC bought this from her- I'm surprised they haven't. Really great self-marketer and beautiful diverse artist. Writiing this piece has helped me through a tough tough patch.

Works like the Getaway Car and perhaps the strongest of the collection Toronto Streetcar seem to be plucked out of their own time and place (like a streetcar gone sedentary in a farmer’s field). They are also literally out of time, there time has been spent- it has lapsed. It is gone forever except in the work where it lives forever.

Toronto Streetcar works particularly well along these lines, leveraging as it does off of the strong and evocative design of the Toronto Transit Commission of yore. Nothing appears in the piece except the solitary streetcar, which while static seems to be speeding somewhere. The TTC’s trademark yellow is brought to the surface, fused with the interior and exterior light, through Sepulis’ sanding and layering technique. The bulk of the piece is devoted to a negative space of mottled burgundy, reds and oranges suggesting a streetscape now subject to the erasure of time.

Tonight, boys and girls.

Brooksy straps on the pedal steel for the first time in front of a crowd and The GoodRev and Deeps form a countrified rhythm section in support of one of this country's emerging singer songwriter's.

Tiiu could be heard at this year's Ottawa folk fest and was even recognized with an award.

Check her jive out here.... Tiiu on Myspace