Jambands.ca

Colbert vs O'Reilly

AD

As for people "getting their news" from these shows. That is their fault. These are comedy shows and if people can not tell the difference then that is the problem, not the show. These shows cannot be held accountable as real news shows....'cause they are not real!

P.S. Colbert is not cowardly in the slightest. The man went to the white house and called bush out face to face on number of issues and dropped massive bombs to the commander in chief, who was squirming not 30 ft away. Colbert has no fear!

Perhaps I've just superimposed my frustration with the political opinions of the people who watch the shows, onto the shows themselves. That said, I think that Stewart, especially, could do more with the audience he has. Whether he cares to admit it or not, he adds fuel to the fire of partisan hackery that he so frequently condemns.

As for Colbert at the White House, that obviously took balls. I was referring more to his own show, where he hides behind his character (a character that is completely unoriginal, if entertaining) to make his guests look like idiots. I agree with the vast majority of his stances politically, but don't jive with the way he treats people on his show.

Colbert is Karma to many of his guests, IMHO.

I've watched the show from its inception. It didn't fly well at the start, but is humming on all cylinders now. We need the voice of Colbert (as fictitious as it may be) to be a counter-point to the spineless mainstream media that pumps out the Bush agenda.

What's good for the goose . . .

Colbert is Karma to many of his guests, IMHO.

But are we really getting anywhere when Colbert does the exact same thing that the far-right does, only on a comedy show? I don't see how he has any right to beef at what the far-right does when he's no better - comedy show or not. I think satire like his is hilarious and important in small doses, but is dangerous when it becomes the news.

We need the voice of Colbert (as fictitious as it may be) to be a counter-point to the spineless mainstream media that pumps out the Bush agenda.

Careful with the generalizations, there. I agree that Fox News is dangerous, but one need only watch CNN or CBS News for a little while to see that not all mainstream media outlets pull the Bush line.

(I also think that the massive popularity of Colbert and Stewart in Canada and the popularization of American political discourse up here is dangerous for Canadian politics, but that's not relevant to this thread.)

The whole point of Colbert is to lampoon the far right by being even more right than they are. We need people like him to hold a mirror up to the neo-conservatives and show the world and them how ridiculous they look. Your statement that you don't like how Colbert treats his guest indicated you don't get the joke. He is simply demonstrating what others like O'Reily do to their guest and claim to be credible and serious. The whole thing is tonge in cheek and I would say 90% of his guests get that.

I love him for that.

I thought last night's Colbert Report episode was pretty strong even without O'Reilly. I found the OReilly "interview" pretty entertaining, especially since O'Reilly is a miserable cuss. It's tough to do even a mock interview when the subject is humourless egocentric fascist.

I watched that Letterman interview when it was on TV originally, I'm watching and thinking, why the fuck would Letterman want O'Reilly on his show? Or who put him up to that (the network?)?

Anyway, when Letterman says, "well, I think most of what you say is crap." To his O'Reilly's face, I turned to someone who was with me, and asked, did I just hear that right> I don;t know if I've ever loved or been more proud of Letterman for finally just telling O'Reilly, on air, that he sucks balls (figuratively).

Your statement that you don't like how Colbert treats his guest indicated you don't get the joke. He is simply demonstrating what others like O'Reily do to their guest and claim to be credible and serious. The whole thing is tonge in cheek and I would say 90% of his guests get that.

I definitely get the joke; I said above that I find him funny in small doses. And maybe I haven't seen enough of his show, but I'd be surprised if 90% of his guests get it.

Meh. To each his own. I agree with most of his points, just not the medium. At least he gets people talking.

Peace,

Hart