Jambands.ca

Homemade Corn Tortillas

bouche

• 1 month later...

Tonight we made tortillas 2.0!

The dough was made with 1 cup of corn flour, 1/2 cup water, and a pinch of salt. Kneeded for a few minutes and then it was rested for about 40 min at room temperature. We got 7 balls rolled (slightly smaller than a golf ball) out of the batch and then pressed in the tortilla squisher.

After the tortillas were formed, I baked them one by one on a hot skillet for about 30 seconds per side and then allowed them to lay inside a towel to cool and steam.

We came up with a plan this morning over breakfast. We figured that with ms.hux holding one pair of tongs and I the other pair, we could submerge the corn tortilla into hot oil with that taco shape until it got set. We ended up with a system where she would hold both tongs to set the taco shell, and I then took over with another utensil to just keep it under the oil with the shell separated enough while she got another one going.

The filling was made with about 3/4 pound ground pork, 2 shallots, 3 cloves garlic, 2 thai peppers, 1 tbsp Cumin, 1 tbsp chili powder, 3/4 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp dried oregano and some water to allow for some saucy coating action.

We were high-fiving each other all the way through our taco dinner. They came out PERFECT!

Anyone else out there own their own Taco Holder? ;)

we had tortilla-making lessons from some little guatemalan chicas when we were down there, they make them from their garage to sell to people. they called the balls of masa "bolitos," and they smacked those little suckers into tortillas in about 10 seconds! it was something. :)

• 1 month later...

I made shrimp tacos last night.

I ripped those little bastards innards out and showed them who the boss was. That's right you crustacean bitches, me, MarcO. Introduced them to heat and listened to their pathetic little cries for redemption. Sad.

I smiled as they turned pink from embarrassment, knowing full well that soon they would go into my horrible mouth and my digestional tracts.

Oh, I'm not heartless, I dressed the dead fuckers up in cute little shreds of green onion, crisp lettuce, diced tomato and then I blew a load of sour cream all over their naughty little dead faces. Yeah you like that don't you shrimpies? Here, have a squirt of lime.

Yeahhhhhh....

• 2 weeks later...

marco, there was a delicious shrimp topping to the tostadas I had in Belize at Hamanasi. They called them Belizean Garnachez. Refried Beans, a mixture of onion, tomato and peppers with a little sweet balsamic, some grated cheese and then chopped lime seasoned shrimp. good fuckin' lunch that was.

I am now a fan of shrimp and corn tortillas.

come to ottawa this summer and visit. Let's EAT!