Jambands.ca

Homemade Corn Tortillas

bouche

neat! want to come cook for one of my spanish classes? we might be able to pass you off as a spaniard...

a lovely latina that i know said that the recipe she uses is the one that comes on the corn flour bag.

corn is definitely the way to go! :)

what are you putting in your tortillas??

we have a place here in Hamilton where you can buy like 40 homemeade corn tortillas for $1.50.

I'd like to make my own but with them going so cheap, it's hard to avoid the time vs money argument here.

We made fish tacos last weekend. Lovely!

That's a good point. they are very cheap and you can freeze them. Buuuut....if you don't have them, but you have the press and corn flour, you only need to add water and your well on your way to having corn tortillas.

what kinda fish there marco?

any white fish that is sturdy and meaty will do. We used tilapia, an all-purpose white fish that is at the right price.

Just marinated it in lime juice mixed with coriander, cumin, cayenne and chili powders, s&p. Cook it up, chop it up into chunks and you have a delicious taco filling!

If I was really on the ball I would have made a little slaw with white cabbage, shredded carrots and green onions - with a lime juice and oil dressing of course - to put on top but shredded lettuce and green onions had to do. No cheese on these please!

Make them with halibut and catch de taste! Catfish is good too because it's firm and can be marinated in something non-acidic for several hours without disintegrating.

I love fish tacos so much, yet everyone I suggest it to thinks it's a disgusting option.

Mike you should use your deep fryer to make fish tacos (since the fish pieces are usually deep fried). Marinate the pieces in buttermilk then flour and deep fry them.

I don't have a picture but for my friend's Mexican Birthday party Saturday I made squash and corn enchiladas with tomatillo sauce (An Epicurious recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/5604

They were delicious and even better for breakfast the next day. I didn't make the tomatillo sauce but used a canned "salsa verde" that was basically the same thing.

ROSALYN, N.M.--A survey of online auction sites reveals that images of Jesus Christ now appear exclusively in whole wheat tortillas, and not the refined-flour tortillas that have hosted similar miracles since the late 1970s.

Christ hasn't shown disfavor for any other kind of bread since the 'leaven of the Pharisees' in approximately 30 AD.

"It's all part of Christ's work as a healer," said nutritionist and Catholic priest James Noyce. "Now that whole-wheat tortillas are available everywhere, Jesus is helping the faithful to avoid diabetes and heart disease."

The divine health kick is nothing new, according to Father Noyce. In the Gospels, Christ urged the drinking of wine--which has been linked to significant reductions in coronary artery disease. The Lord's enthusiasm for fish in the Bible also reveals, in Father Noyce's words, that "He is the alpha, the omega, and the omega-3."

Church officials also acknowledge the symbolism of preserving the trinity of bran, germ, and endosperm in whole wheat grains. One major supplier of consecrated breads--INRye, Inc.--now produces whole-wheat Communion wafers low in animal 'Transubstantiation Fats.'

According to Father Noyce, the new wafers will allow slimmed-down congregations to enter Heaven, as Jesus says, "by the narrow gate."

"The faithful can look forward to a real Transfiguration," he said.

You will make the corn tortillas, heat up the oil in your deep fryer, then use tongs to hold the tortilla halfway in the oil until crispy. you will remove the half-fried item, switch sides and hold the unfried half on an angle, in the oil until crispy.

It's real easy!

You will make the corn tortillas, heat up the oil in your deep fryer, then use tongs to hold the tortilla halfway in the oil until crispy. you will remove the half-fried item, switch sides and hold the unfried half on an angle, in the oil until crispy.

It's real easy!

That honestly doesn't seem easy.

I've also read that you can fry in a pan flat and when cooked you can shape while it's a little pliable.