Jambands.ca

Julie Doiron -Woke Myself Up (fantastic)

zero

Julie Doiron's new album with members of Eric's Trip is unbelievably good. This si th esort of record Feist would make if she still had a first name. It's pretty gloomy I guess but just a stunning document of life out on the emotional ledge. I'm not sure if it's out yet but soon. Pick it up if you're a remote fan.

pretty sure feist learned how to sing listening to julie. feist is a liar if she denies the influence i'd say.

zero, you're repeating yourself! - http://www.jambands.ca/sanctuary/showpost.php?post/396463/

i like this album a lot too. don't know how i feel about ET getting 'back together' for it, kinda wish Rick would get back together with Tara and rip shit up, but hey, Woke Myself Up is a good disc.

Good for them, too bad Julie seems extra sad this time around.

Shut up you, I would take any incarnation of Eric's Trip and I wouldn't criticize or complain about anything they did.

easy now, i was as big or bigger a fan than anyone, but they had a time and place and it has passed. did you see their reunion shows? crap! they were good back in the day and that's where i want the memory to stay. and besides, rick wrote most of the songs, this is a julie record. her songs aren't nearly as frantic or explosive as rick's.

anyways... know what i'm saying?

Speaking of Rick White - heard that he was living in Orangeville smoking dope all day. Anyone confirm this? I think 'My Other Brother Esau' used to live with him? Him and Tara broke up as well, she's working at Rotate This in Toronto.

AD

So, a couple things... I was reading somewhere that this record is all about Julie's divorce. I had no idea she was divorced.

The Eric's Trip reunion show I caught last summer was very disappointing. Both Rick and Julie's solo sets were far more entertaining IMO.

Everytime I catch Julie around these parts I'm reminded that Feist has made quite a career out of what Julie was doing 10 years ago.

I was reading somewhere that this record is all about Julie's divorce.

There's no doubt about that. The album is a pretty damning indictment of whoever was the love of her life with lyrics ranging from regret: "what a foolish thing I've done to lose the only one". To acceptance: "Me and my friend we are not friendly anymore"". To realization : "It was the wrong guy". To anger: "Don't wanna be liked by you."

The first six songs if I recall from the one-sheeter though are about her family, presumably her children. Although if you didn't know this fact you'd understandably think it was still the dialogue with the ex.

if you put this album in contrast to everything i've ever heard about her and Jon from past albums, shows, conversations, interviews etc it's pretty shocking that they've broken up, IF that is true. Note that there's no confirmation or anything, other than her songs have always been personal. You never know, she could be in character for this one.

Jon Claytor - he's an artist, took most of the pictures on her album covers, did the cover art, etc. They had 3 kids together. He's a nice guy, I've chatted a few times with him.

She's coming through most of our markets in March with Shotgun & Jaybird (the awesome band she plays with when not doing her solo work). Most likely will do a tour behind her album, probably Europe first. She's not big on updating websites though.

You'd best get on this Shotgun & Jaybird train, they're great. (Although their album doesn't hold a candle to the live show). Their EP from last year is good, and you can listen to a CBC Radio 3 session online somewhere.

Shotgun & Jaybird are indeed hilarious.

Their description of their latest CD was something like "a soundtrack to everyday suburban teenage life, written in rural New Brunswick by thirty-somethings."

The "There Are Days and Then There Are Days" EP is fantastic. A couple of mp3 samples:

http://redesignsackville.com/sj_music/days/long%20distance%20dates.mp3

http://redesignsackville.com/sj_music/days/secret.mp3

the last ottawa show, they had to cut 2 songs from the setlist because Dick had a 6 minute stream of conciousness story about popcorn exploding out of the back of jimmy's amp... people were doubled over laughing it was so funny. julie had to leave the stage and hold herself up on the wall to keep upright from the laughter.

they are coming through ontario with the constantines and jon-rae and the oversingers sometime in march.

someone walked into the bar with popcorn, dick smelled it, thought that maybe he stashed some popcorn in the back of jimmie's amp on the drive to ottawa and now that the amp was hot it was cooking.... etc etc.

1a. SEE THEM LIVE!

1. Get the 'There are days...' ep - can be downloaded for cheap from Zunior

2. Listen to the CBC Radio 3 session

3. Listen to the 'Trying to Get Somewhere' album

4. There are 5 older albums for free download at http://www.shotgunandjaybird.com/discography.htm but it isn't their best work. I don't think Julie was on board until 'There are days'...

Here's their promo of the newest album:

Well here it is folks, our new record is done. Its called Trying To Get Somewhere and its coming out on Sappy Records you can buy it from them right now. Sonic Unyon will be distributing it in the next month or so, go tell your favorite stores. We recorded it at home in Sackville over the summer. We sent it Toronto for Mr. Noah Mintz to master and he did a good job. It has eleven songs, thats five more than our last record. Julie stepped out of the garden and wrote two gems. A bunch are about hearts, mostly aching or bending, some beat or long. one song is about falling on the ice, other than that its pretty much the soundtrack to your average suburban teenage summer, written in rural new brunswick by twenty-thirty somethings. We're mature you see, this is maturity. Hope you like it.