Jambands.ca

Atta boy JT - MTL review

Booche

T'CHA DUNLEVY, The Gazette

Published: Thursday, February 01, 2007

The singing started after just a few songs. It built in waves as the crowd showered him with cheers.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you."

Justin Timberlake celebrated his 26th birthday with more than 19,600 fans last night at the Bell Centre.

"What did you say?" he asked coyly, before summoning his entourage for a round of tequila shots.

"Don't try this at home," he joked.

The party was already well under way. Rolling into town with the kind of big-show bells and whistles we haven't seen since Madonna played here last summer, Timberlake delivered a nearly two-and-a-half-hour tour de force of song, dance and some of the funkiest beats in pop music.

A seven-piece band gave him the sonic oomph. Four backup singers helped with the harmonies. Eight dancers offered constant visual stimulation. But it was Timberlake who ruled the proceedings.

They don't call him the king of pop for nothing. Relaxed, giddy and with rhythm in his bones, he sang with soul, flair and effortless precision.

Opening with the Prince-ly shuffle of the title track to his new album FutureSex/LoveSounds, and playing every song on it by show's end - plus a few from his solo debut, Justified - he proved that his talent goes beyond anything that video and studio trickery could provide.

He received frequent applause for his dancing, and rightfully so. He never missed a step. He couldn't even saunter across the stage or jump down the stairs without landing on the beat.

A word here about the staging: "In the round," they call it - a matrix of circular catwalks at centre-ice, with Timberlake alternating between the centre and playful jaunts around the perimeter to visit his fans on all sides of the room.

And for the most part, he made it seem like one big jam. Even a romantic ditty like My Love, early on, turned into a singalong dance party. Another, Until the End of Time, was sappier, but still had swing. The upbeat numbers - Sexy Ladies, Chop Me Up, Damn Girl - needed no assistance.

As rumoured, there was a cameo by super-producer Timbaland, who gives the new album much of its edge. But at a full half-hour, his intermission "beaterator" jam went on far too long, breaking the flow of the night - nothing Timberlake couldn't fix upon his return. SexyBack was on the set list near show's end, but by that time, this reporter was already writing for deadline.

Pink opened the night with a surprisingly engaging set. Her husky singing voice, spunky charm and unpretentious demeanour would have provided stiff competition were Timberlake not already so on top of his game.

17693-5207.jpg

Those are the kinds of shows that usually get "good" reviews ... mainly because they are mainstream pop. Get that same reviewer out to some lesser-known, non-label, grassroots band (like the ones we all listen to) and you'd get something completely different.

I do understand that the kid does have talent ... just not a talent that I would enjoy experiencing :P

the toronto reviewer was Ben Rayner... he said the "show" got in the way of JT's talent.

He's seen tons of bands, as I imagine the Montreal reviewer has.

I dunno. I don't listed to much mainstream pop, but JT has a ton of talent, I can't see how his show wouldn't be entertaining and good.

Every one who plays the ACC has some sort of talent or they wouldnt be playing it. Im gonna go post this in that other thread as something that annoys me: People who insist on pointing out that JT has talent. Big fuckin whoop! Hey you know who else has talent? The Wiggles.

no, actually it is worth pointing out because too many people just sweep aside "pop" music as though it's an inferior musical form, to be looked down on. It's as though the concept of "entertainment" is worthless.

It's as though the concept of "entertainment" is worthless.

Its not that its worthless' date=' it just aint worth what they want from you.

[/quote']

I don't get it. We pay Trey Anastasio $50 a pop to hallcuinate on stage with a guitar around his neck, pissing in people's ears. He's certainly not gonna bring sexy back.

Its not that its worthless' date=' it just aint worth what they want from you. [/quote']

i don't get it, can you elaborate?

I interpreted Marco's post as saying JT is entertainment, and hes good at it, to say hes not is to render Entertainment "worthless". Im not saying hes bad, Im saying his form of entertainment bites, and is so incredibly overblown with hype and hysteria that it aint worth the hard earned dollar you've earned to spend on it. The same goes for most big-venue shows. Its all hype. Dude's just a dude. Were all a bunch of suckas for the next big thing. If thats what entertainment is, it aint worth it to me.