Jambands.ca

What's the Canadian equivelent of the ACLU?

Velvet

I used to belong to the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association, and I believe they were affiliated with the Ontario Civil Liberties Association. The BC Branch, though is among the most active of any of them in Canada.

Let me know the reason you're asking, and I could most likely hook you up.

(I actually don't know about the CCLA, which Brad posted about, although I expect that is the group I thought was called the Ontario Civil Liberties Association.)

There is this, I hesitate to say funny, scene in With God On Our Sides this documentary about the rise of Evangelical Christians and I want to say I'm getting this right but I think it's Falwell (Rev. Jerry) and maybe he's commenting on 9/11 and he lays it squarely on, you guessed it the ACLU's doorstep (and abortionists I think!). It's an assiduously well documented documentary and very balanced so it's really eery to here Falwell given enough rope to hang himself.

This isn't actually meant as a burn but I'm sort of surprised you're not familiar with the ACLU Todd. That is a very important American cultural institution and pretty much like the Anti-GOP (Grand Old Party). It's kind of hard as a Canadian to appreciate I think how deep a cultural presence the ACLU has. Plus conservative blogster types and you're Fox's and Hardball's and all- they just fucking HATE the ACLU.

That anecdote about Falwell blaming 9/11 on the ACLU just about captures how deeply entrenched the schism between say Evangelic Christians/GOP and ACLU/Democrats truly is.

Like seriously how does that make any fucking sense. The American Civil Liberties Union sent planes into a building. Burning Airlines Give You So Much More.

I guess I meant about the UCLU part. Anyways same sentiment, much more vocal and intense presence in the States.

edited to add: This whole line might be precluded by the fact that Canada inherently does not need a civil liberties union.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, I'm familiar with the UCLU (so familiar in fact, that I have my own pet-name for it) but not the Canadian version, likely for the reason you make in your last statement. Plus I thought it would be nice to give bradm something to do this morning when he got to work.