Jambands.ca

Calling All Kids!!!

MamaPink

Great thread :) !

Our kids each have had their favourites, which it's been a kick to watch evolve over time. Sesame Street's a perennial favourite, as are the episodes of the Muppet Show we've been able to get; Winnie the Pooh episodes were always a hit in the early years, too. And Pingu's also great stuff (I could watch it myself for hours :) ). They also both enjoyed Asterix and Tintin cartoons - French or English, didn't matter.

That's without getting into movies. And these, like shows, will evolve over time. Our eldest has now reached the age where she's insisting on being able to watch The Blues Brothers when weekend movie time rolls around ( :o ).

In terms of the kids stuff, i have found some great music and dvd:

- Anything by Dan Zanes - totally awesome, i have seen the band twice with my kids and we all love it - seriously an awesome live band.

- Garcia/Grisman - Not for kids only.

- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - gotta love it!

- Putamayo has some great world music for kids on cd.

- Finding Nemo - a no brainer - every on laughs, everyone cries.

- Mighty Machines - the boy loves it!

- Discovery Channel - tons of great nature stuff.

- Lazy Town - neat look to it

- A good 77' Dead show with the right "visualizaton selection" - the kids love it, and daddy really loves it.

cheers

- A good 77' Dead show with the right "visualizaton selection" - the kids love it' date=' and daddy really loves it.

[/quote']

Awesome :) . I'll second that!

I'll add a third to that!! my oldest is particularly fond of A Ticket To New Years and Bob Marley's story Rebel Music**.

I found out that kids seem to like these types of things because of the colours. Babies especially and children pick up red, green and yellows right away from the time they can see past 6 feet or at about 6-8 weeks of age.

he likes lots but hated the heavy Pink Floyd I threw on the other day...hmmmm...too intense I guess.

I've got JUST what you need. PM me and i'll fire you off a copy:

http://www.babyrockrecords.com/web/page.asp?pgs=product&catid=41&id=1049

9606.gif

We couldn’t think of a band more deserving of the lullaby treatment than Pink Floyd. The sounds of this legendary group speak to the parts of the brain that are wide awake during that lovely dream state called REM. They are musical journeys to the bright side of the moon and beyond. While your child is comfortably sleeping, these lullabies will work to open their mind’s eye as only Pink Floyd can. Your crazy little diamond is going to shine on in a dreamland courtesy of Baby Rock. You’re gonna wish you were there.

+++++++++++++++++++

My daughter just went to sleep to this. She LOVES it. She calls it "PIG MUSIC" :) SHe also has an amazing fascination with everything PIG.

ahh sweet..I just pmd you before seeing your next post.

Definately be nice to get some Floyd going.

Suppose starting him off with Saucerfull of Secrets mighta been a bad decision...he looked at me, bottom lip turned way down and the tears came...I threw it off immediately throwing on some easy Cash and he was just fine...oooopsy.

I can only remember one record that scared me under the kitchen table in tears...Brain Salad Surgery...mostly it was the cover I think...anyone heard of that record?

I think it had a Borg/medussa type picture on it...ewwwe...shudders.

I can only remember one record that scared me under the kitchen table in tears...Brain Salad Surgery...mostly it was the cover I think...anyone heard of that record?

I think it had a Borg/medussa type picture on it...ewwwe...shudders.

:D - that's hilarious. Emerson Lake and Palmer has come to have that effect on me nowadays.

That pic is an H.R. Giger painting, apparently - the same guy who did the work on Alien, and the Dead Kennedys' Frankenchrist inset.