Jambands.ca

Calling All Kids!!!

MamaPink

…or skanks with kids, anyways!

Kaden and I have been on the lookout for some new DVDs to watch together. Currently, we own a few good ones but we’re getting a little tired of them. So we’d like something new. Anything with music that we can both rock out to would be great!

I’ll make a few suggestions of my own.

They Might Be Giants – Here Come the ABCs

Even though I can’t stand their music normally, this DVD is great! Clever songs and all about the alphabet.

Rockin’ With Roseanne – Calling All Kids

Yep… that’s Roseanne Barr, singing kids songs! Thought I’d hate it, but it’s really cute. My kid LOVES it (although I’m pretty sure he thinks Roseanne is my mom) Songs like, “Going to the Doctor Makes me Sick†and “Down on the Donut Farm†make it perfect match for children.

Pee-Wee’s Playhouse – First Season

I remember this being one of my favourite shows as a kid, and now I can see why. Totally silly and very colourful - seems almost animated. Love seeing all the guest appearances too.

Alright, now it's your turn!

hal...I have the complete Looney Tunes collection...it's Cain's, it's a 4 disc collection with everything made, right from the beginning when elmer fud is all weird looking. It's a real copy, not a burn. you can borrow it anytime you'd like...you'll have to ask Cain though

My daughter absolutely loves the Wiggles. She has a few of their DVDs, but there is one in particular, called something like "Magical Adventure", that is actually pretty good and much better done that most of their shows, even if you can't stand them. I hate to admit it, but there are actually some cool songs on it.

Also, I just got her "The Adventures of Shark Boy and Laval Girl" that has a 3D version on it, and it comes with 4 pairs of 3D glasses, we have been having a great time with that one.

As well.. I am trying to get her into Herbie Hancock (actually had him playing during her birth). :)

I can't stand the Wiggles! Ugh! The one time I put a video on for my kids they tuned right out. Phew :P

All the old Muppet Shows are out on DVD now. Unbelievable guest musicians and damn funny humour for all age groups. Loved it as a kid, now love it as a parent.

Richard Scarry DVDs are good too. Good wholesome, entertaining, and educational all at the same time.

My 2.5 year-old daughter Cassidy, sat through Jimi Plays Woodstock! I just put it on while we were playing and she got mesmerized by Hendrix :) Mom wasn't home and we had the surround sound pumpin' :)

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

And if you can get them... the old Hilarious House of Frankenstein episodes... the best.

My 4 year old son loves those. I record them from the Space channel. Can't remember when it's on. I loved that when I was a kid. It's fun to watch now too. The Professor is really cool too for learnin'.

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

Hey,

Here's a good trick if you want to get a bunch of stuff, but don't know if your kid will like it. Download a copy of DVDShrink. Then, go to your local library or video store. You can make quick copies (not that I condone this or anything ) and kids DVDs can almost always be done at 100% because they are shorter.

When your kid is bored with any copies, just let us know here and maybe we could do a few swaps (of DVDs, not kids ).

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

MamaPink ... Ok, that's one of my tasks this weekend (and it won't take long). I'll get you copies of the couple of Richard Scarry DVDs that I have (Busy People and one other). We have a few more on VHS. I should look at the vid store to see if they're available (gotta love the kid's rentals at $1 a piece ).

http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Scarrys-Best-Video-Ever/sim/B00005QFDY/1/ref=pd_sexpl_s_d/105-3174690-1326840?ie=UTF8&pf=dvd

scarbusyd-2.jpg

I loved Richard Scarry books when I was a kid. I've passed my copies along to my kids and they are getting a lot out of them too (did you ever look for Goldbug on every page of Cars and Trucks and Things That Go?)

0007111444.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

That would be wonderful Kev! Kaden will LOVE those!! I'll send you a PM!!

We've taken advantage of the kid rentals as well. The selection is not so great around here though... and I find a lot of them are so shredded and skip like crazy. But it's still a great deal and they seem to burn well. (not that I do that)

I've got the complete 5 season (120 episode) run of the Muppet show burned to DVD. Lots of music and silliness and cool guests. Schwa and I must've watched dozens of them by now.

I've also got Happy Feet with the singing Penguins but I lent it to Zane.

Let me know if you want to try some out on him to see what he thinks.

There is a series of dvd's/audio cds by a company called Rabbit Ears that marries celebrity story readers and musicians with art.They are awesome!!!

Mickey Hart did one with John Hurt called Alladin.Whoopi Goldberg did one with Herbie hancock called Koi and the Kola nut tree. Bela Fleck did one too-can't remember who the reader was.Ben kingsley narrated another that Ravi Shankar did the music for.Anyway if you can find them or order them they are great!

SOCCER!!!!!!!!!!!!

We got my daughters a whole bunch of The Singing Kettle DVD's. I had them back home in Scotland when I was a kid and we found them again for my kids. Its also a great way to teach them about a culture they have been removed from but are completely surrounded by through myself and my parents.