Jambands.ca

The LEGENDARY 12 Song Album Game!

MarcO

#254: But that's not what they sound like: Songs widely associated with a given artist that aren't an accurate representation of the artist's overall sound.

1. Blind Melon - No Rain

2. White Stripes - Little Ghost

3. Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy

4. The Gourds - Gin & Juice

5. Led Zeppelin - Hot Dog

6. The Grateful Dead - Touch Of Grey

Aloha,

Brad

here's the list as it stands.

#254: But that's not what they sound like: Songs widely associated with a given artist that aren't an accurate representation of the artist's overall sound.

1. Blind Melon - No Rain

3. The Police - Mother

5. Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy

6. Led Zeppelin - Hot Dog

7. The Grateful Dead - Touch Of Grey

bradm - I dispute your choice. Please explain how Touch of Grey doesn't sound like the Grateful Dead.

1. Blind Melon - No Rain

7. Stevie Wonder - I just called to say I love you

bradm - I dispute your choice. Please explain how Touch of Grey doesn't sound like the Grateful Dead.

Oh, it sounds like a GD song (esp. due to Jerry's voice), but it's not representative of their overall sound*. It doesn't have any solo/lead guitar, it wasn't jammed out, its lyrics were neither arcanely metaphorical (e.g., "Terrapin Station"), nor strongly rooted in Americana (e.g., "Jack Straw," "Brown Eyed Women," "Mexicali Blues"); it comes across as an easily digestbible bouncy, poppy single, which very few other GD songs did.

As you disagree with my choice, perhaps you could explain exactly how "Touch Of Grey" is "an accurate representation of the [Grateful Dead's] overall sound."

Aloha,

Brad

* That phrase itself might be a problem: I don't think there's an "overall sound" (in genre terms) to the GD.

1. Blind Melon - No Rain

8. Genesis - I Can't Dance

*Dispute: Hot Dog? How many people think of Zeppelin when they hear that name? Come on.

Touch of Grey? I vote to keep it in. It's in the same vein as submitting Contact by Phish, IMHO.

ok, the premise being "an accurate representation of the artist's overall sound", I'd say ToG is almost exactly that. It's a bouncy major-key song in a long line of such numbers for Garcia and the Dead (see: Foolish Heart, Sugar Magnolia, Franklin's Tower, for Garcia specifically see: Run For The Roses, Valerie, Reuben & Cerise etc.). From Brent's organ lines to Garcia's bell-like solo, the slippery grooves - it actually represents the Dead pretty well, imo. It's not a left-field number, it's not unrepresentative and yes I would love a sandwich thank you.

All the other choices I can see - Led Zep didn't really do a lot of country ho-downs, Stevie Wonder's career is far more substantial than that pap, Bobby McFerrin is actually one of the world's most gifted singers but that song kind of distracts from that...... so go ahead and leave ToG in, I just don't fully agree.

I'd say Touch of Grey is the easiest and most perfect example that this category could ever have, and to dispute it is to have a pickle up one's arse. The McFerrin example is also solid. The Zepellin tune should be changed, and the Stevie tune is definitely debatable.

Good points about ToG. As the title includes the word Grey, I would put it in a grey-zone on this one. It can be seen both ways in terms of it's overall-sound. It is widely associated with the Dead for sure!!! It was their only top-charting hit ... that means the general population knows the song (unlike HOT DOG!!!!)

Dump the Dog man! ;P :D

Who would really think 'oh yeah, zeppelin, they do that song called hot dog.'

loads more than with carouselambra. ;)

fwiw, hot dog is clearly the best song on that album ;) fool in the rain? hah!

i love the "albums" that provoke arguments. :D

edit to add: what's the Phish equivalent of Touch of Grey?

Edited by Guest

The Genesis pick is good.

I agree with that.

I also feel the Gourd's pick is solid, since every review of their albums start with the mention of that song, even though the album they released it on came out a decade ago.

As for Touch Of Grey, I guess to me its hard to grasp bein' an old tour head, but when I think of alot of people I hang out with who are not (and have never been) fans of GD, thats the song they think of when I meantion Grateful Dead.

Edited by Guest

I think the Stevie pick is fine. Horrible song, but one of his most successful singles. People KNOW who it's by:

The song was number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks from October 13, 1984 and also became Wonder's first solo UK number-one hit, staying at the top for six weeks. It also won a Golden Globe and an Academy Award for Best Original Song.

1. Blind Melon - No Rain

9. Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage

edit to add: what's the Phish equivalent of Touch of Grey?

I'd say one of the following:

Bouncing Around The Room

Simple

Contact

Free - wasn't that Phish's only charting single? That would be my pick.

good pick ...

1. Blind Melon - No Rain

10. Phish - Free

... gretzky waits in front of the net, kurri passes, gretzky scores! ...

I don't know about "Hot Dog" by Zeppelin. Sure it is their only country song, but it was not a hit nor is it in the top 10 songs average people think of when they think Zeppeiln....

Anyways....

1. Blind Melon - No Rain

10. Phish - Free

11. Los Lobos- La Bamba

... gretzky waits in front of the net, kurri passes, gretzky scores! ...