Jambands.ca

I'm embarassed

rubberdinghy

So, if he cried so much about not wanting to leave why wasnt the extension signed? Reports indicate both sides were off by anywhere between one hundred and three hundred grand. That's pennies in relation to this contract.

I agree. Smyth doesn't want to believe he had a choice in the matter. Bullshit.

I have no problem with a player leaving for money or other reasons but spare me the platitude about your "heart" being in Edmonton.

Like Steve Warne said on The Team this morning, "Your heart is in your wallet."

oh well...it was still sad.

Sad that a man who gets a 1in a million chance to play in the NHL, actually gets to follow his dream and make alot of money from his passion; has to mislead the people(the fans)who pay the exhorbatent ticket prices and buy the overpriced merchandise to pay him the huge salary and he cries about a couple hundred grand? He should retire and become a politician because thats how it looks to me.

You can bet that the loon owner of the Isles will table a big offer to Smyth in the near future. If he doesn't, I wouldn't be shocked if Ryan re-signed with the Oil in the off-season, especially after they miss the playoffs.

Jim Jerome, close friend of old school Oilers, was on The Team this morning and intimated that Smyth might just not have been in Kevin Lowe's longterm plans.

Some other pundit pointed out that after the first year or two of his next contract, Smyth will be a depreciating commodity at about 5 million per.

The problem I see here is that the Oilers grossly overpaid when re-signing guys like Horcoff, Hemsky and Pisani last summer. They made the mistake of not negotiating and extending Smyth before blowing the budget on the rest of them.

$5 - 5.5 M doesn't look so bad for Smyth when you consider:

Shawn Horcoff - Signed three-year, $10.8 million deal ($3.6 million/yr)

Ales Hemsky - Signed six-year, $24.6 million deal($3.5 million/yr)

Fernando Pisani - Signed four-year, $10 million deal ($2.5 million/yr)

Jarret Stoll - Signed two-year, $4.4 million deal ($2.2 million/yr)

Petr Sykora - Signed one-year deal, $2.9 million