Jambands.ca

APRIL 7th - The Jimmy Swift Band @ Opera House

Jay Funk Dawg

Thank-you Toronto!

The first opener was a little weak, a shining example of what I call "generock" (a conglomeration of generic and rock, in case it's not obvious) all their songs sounded the same and were rather whiney. The second opener had some skills but the frontman's scarf-play was distracting from the music. But let's be honest, we didn't come for the openers so that's enough about them.

Jimmy Swift sounded amazing! I thought the mix combined with that venue were absolutely stellar. That place is set up so perfectly as it really was an opera house, so it's built for sound. I also liked that it was easy to see the band, there was lots of room to dance at the back of the crowd and the bar was set away from the crowd, but two side bars were available for shots and beers. I will definitely go see more shows there simply because of the practicality of the venue. It sucks that the venue is in cracktown and has a little shakedown on the way in, but nothing is perfect, eh. I really can't express how much I have come to appreciate JSB over the last year. The show last night totally cemented that sentiment. I'm finding it difficult to give an accurate desription of the show because of the consistently solid performance that JSB delivers. All I can say is that it was the Jimmy Swift Band as they always are; solid jams, high energy and skillful playing. Thank-you guys for another excellent show with encores and thanks Toronto for given'er partying!