Jambands.ca

Do you remember Wooden Stars?

lara

I'm writing a story on them right now and they have a really deep underground history in indie rock Canada... They've returned after a 5-7 year hiatus with a brand new album.

If anyone has any memories of seeing them or remembers the buzz around them I'd like to hear about it...

I'm going to see them tonight (in about 30mins).

I remember going to see them at the SAW gallery in Ottawa back in the mid-late '90s. Seeing them open for the Rheostatics at Barrymore's, and remember when they won the Juno more recently, they didn't have a speech prepared, so andrew (I think) told a knock-knock joke.

Great band and nice guys!

i first saw the wooden stars in 1996 in london ontario when they were writing for Mardi Gras; they were opening for the Inbreds and Thrush Hermit. i've seen them every chance I've had since... the most memorable time was during the recording of Julie Doiron & The Wooden Stars at the downstairs club on rideau... hearing those songs for the first time was fantastic. one of my old favourites who slipped off the radar, then right back on with their awesome new disc (so far my favourite of 2007). Snailhouse (mike's solo project) is also very very good. Fuerstack has worked with Julie Doiron, Islands, Belle Orchestre, and is now playing with Angela Desveux. A nicer guy you will not find.

Anyways - good luck with your story, if you want more personal impressions or stories PM me

AD

so i just watched them. jim bryson opened (good show! jeremy garra of Arcade Fire on drums). WS put on a great mix of "hits" and new tunes. A couple of gaffes here and there, but tight as hell considering their 6 year layoff or whatever its been. Good stuff!

I'm going to see them tonight (in about 30mins).

I remember going to see them at the SAW gallery in Ottawa back in the mid-late '90s. Seeing them open for the Rheostatics at Barrymore's, and remember when they won the Juno more recently, they didn't have a speech prepared, so andrew (I think) told a knock-knock joke.

Great band and nice guys!

Cute. Do you remember the joke?

I'm writing a story on them right now and they have a really deep underground history in indie rock Canada... They've returned after a 5-7 year hiatus with a brand new album.

If anyone has any memories of seeing them or remembers the buzz around them I'd like to hear about it...

Are you doing the Ottawa Xpress article?

I could give you more info than you could ever need, but it might be a conflict of interest (I work with them, their new album is on Sonic Unyon, where I work).

The Rheostatics loved them, and had them open up a whole week of shows for them at the Ultrasound Show Bar in Toronto back in like 1994, before their first album was out. Dave Bidini claims that the Rolling Stones came to one of the shows they played together there (at a different time) but when Bidini outed Jagger for being there, the band got up and left.

The Wooden Stars' Josh Latour accepted their 2000 Juno Award. Since he was the only band member living in Toronto he went and accepted it - and was shocked to accept it. The favourites to win that year were Thrush Hermit and Danko Jones, so when Julie and the W Stars won it was a big surprise. I was there, since we had 3 bands nominated for that award (Julie/Wooden Stars, Thrush Hermit and Tricky Woo) but I don't remember Josh telling a joke and neither does my wife.

Their drummer, Andrew McCormack, also drums in Howe Gelb's band. He replaced Jeremy Gara when he got too busy with the Arcade Fire.

Are you doing the Ottawa Xpress article?

I could give you more info than you could ever need' date=' but it might be a conflict of interest (I work with them, their new album is on Sonic Unyon, where I work).

The Rheostatics loved them, and had them open up a whole week of shows for them at the Ultrasound Show Bar in Toronto back in like 1994, before their first album was out. Dave Bidini claims that the Rolling Stones came to one of the shows they played together there (at a different time) but when Bidini outed Jagger for being there, the band got up and left.

The Wooden Stars' Josh Latour accepted their 2000 Juno Award. Since he was the only band member living in Toronto he went and accepted it - and was shocked to accept it. The favourites to win that year were Thrush Hermit and Danko Jones, so when Julie and the W Stars won it was a big surprise. I was there, since we had 3 bands nominated for that award (Julie/Wooden Stars, Thrush Hermit and Tricky Woo) but I don't remember Josh telling a joke and neither does my wife.

Their drummer, Andrew McCormack, also drums in Howe Gelb's band. He replaced Jeremy Gara when he got too busy with the Arcade Fire.[/quote']

Yup thats me. No conflict of interest... I'm just looking for memories, stories...

when Julie and the W Stars won it was a big surprise.

Not to me! Fantastic album, my favourite 'mood' album.

Good luck on the article Lara, I hope you're able to delve into all their albums and really get a sense of them. I'd recommend headphones for the new one, lots of little nuanced things I've found that way.

So wooden stars, I dunno... did I do them justice?

good article lara; it's pretty much a history of the band with commentary - not much talk of what they sound like or anything though - i think the only reference to their music is the term Math Rock. also, (don't want to sound too nitpicky) found a possible small mistake - says "McCormack played on Howe Gelb's album 'Sno Angel Like You." - The way I remember it, Jeremy Gara played drums on the album and on the first few tour dates, and McCormack took over on drums when arcade fire went into overdrive. I could be wrong though. Lots of drummers drumming on lots of albums.

away from the article - did you like their music?

This Saturday at Babylon, folks. Opening is Samir Khan's (Kepler) new band Tusks (also featuring Julien from Wooden Stars).

Actually, I think you're correct. McCormack played with Howe Gelb's 'Sno Angel crew (McCormack's words that were originally in the story), but I dont think he was on the album...best of my understanding is he played part of the tour. That small detail was changed, by my editor, who I think was mistaken...

Good eye.

Did I like their music... hmm.. Yes, but. Thats my answer - Yes, but. :)

It didn't get me crazy or sit in the cd player for more than a few days...

I dunno about that. Their fans are super diehard, to be perfectly honest, but it doesn't help that - apart from their new one and the Julie album - their albums are all out of print.

That's why I wish more people knew about Zunior

I'm not too sure what you mean by that sentence - a lot of my serious music-loving friends never really "got" Wooden Stars. They realise that they're extremely competent musicians, but the quirk factor was so extreme sometimes that it turned people off. In my experience. The new album is much tighter and more concise than anything else they've put out.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the Wooden Stars have been all that hard to "get" for the past few records. Definitely as far as The Moon and the new album are concerned they are a lot more straightforward than their first album was(is).