Jambands.ca

"logic" that hurts your brain

Calamity Jane

today I drove beside a behemoth of a garbage truck (owned by the company "WM", or "WasteManagement") and I was struck dumb by the huge proclamation painted on its side:

WM’S LANDFILLS PROVIDE MORE THAN 17 000 ACRES OF PROTECTED HABITAT FOR WILDLIFE

my brain actually still hurts.

what other 'gems' of euphemism, obfuscation, or generally tortured logic have you endured recently???

From what I have always understood - and Greg's link above would seem to corroborate - WasteManagement has a rather good environmental reputation and has made significant improvements over past practice in the industry.

Of course, they'll soon be trying to dispose of 25,000 glowsticks...

I really feel that this kind of 'green-wash' does more harm than good in the end, though.

I'm glad to hear that WM is trying to be a good corporate citizen and leader in new technologies, but to alot of folks, these feel-good sayings are just a conscience-balm (in Dupont's minty-flavour gel form ;) )

"hey, the problem is already taken care of...I don't have to change my consumption and waste habits...in fact, by pitching my garbage, I'm creating protected habitat for wildlife....wow, what a win-win situation, think I'll go to MalWart and do my part for the turtles...."

what other 'gems' of euphemism, obfuscation, or generally tortured logic have you endured recently???

I'll spend the rest of my life trying to square the circle behind conservatives who will fight for the right to life movement - since life is sacred and a blessing - and then fight to have that person sentenced to death when they grow up to be a dangerous asshole.