Jambands.ca

Lawyers? We need help.

lara

Hey

So we have a rental situation where it looks like we may be taken to small claims court. Its quite stressful and would cost us 2 grand to get it all over with. Which is a lot of money to us.

We need advice just to find if we have a case worth fighting (which we thought we did, till we received a nasty letter today.)

Anyone gone through anything like this before? Should we consult with a lawyer? Stonemountain? How much does it cost to consult with a lawyer?

This is starting to feel a bit intimidating.

hey lara - first off, you gotta know your rights -- i've got a copy of the tenant protection act here... you're welcome to it.

i've got some experience with the ontario rental housing tribunal too.

i'm sure no lawyer, but i'm willing to tell you what i know. i've read the tenant protection act lots.

the legal aid person at the tribunal said i did a kick-ass job of my claim, too - i ended up settling for a decent chunk of $$$ when i took my landlord back in peterborough.

maybe i should swing by with the tpa after work tomorrow? lemme know.

go to the legal aid office. you may not get legal aid to deal with your issues, but you can get referred to a legal clinic where you can get free advice

and keep your chin up, nasty letters are designed to intimidate you and make you doubt yourself. don't get worried until you have to - when you've done research and have been given sound advice that you don't have a case.

All legal issues are intimidating without knowledge.With knowledge they become a little less so.Small claims(and the housing tribunal for that matter) are actually exemplary(though not perfect)instances of accessible justice in action.

Most of the letters will be threats.The best defence is knowledge(research and a little patience can help that).

Legal aid-no , you won't get it.The eligibility is very strict, and the cases they take must be more important.

Legal clinics are great for advice and some direction.The likelihood is that they won't have the resources to prepare a case for you though.

Lawyers are expensive and quite honestly not neccesary(although maybe calming) in small claims court.

I can help if you like.I've taken alot of law courses to fuel my militant social activism!!

Try not to worry about it too much 75% of the time it's total bullshit.

i will go up to 99.9% with the bullshit. ontario,s ombudsman can help i was told.here they don,t unless it is a government issue

so all said hope you do not get upset over a letter

was the letter registered? if not you didn,t get it

good luck