Jambands.ca

Potential good news for Deadwood fans related to John From Cincinnati

Jaimoe

I really liked John From Cincinnati, so it's a little bittersweet that the premature ending of that crazy "Deadwood on a surfboard" show could force HBO to finish David Milch's other program (and one of the best motherfucking, cocksucking shows ever): Deadwood.

HBO is getting roasted by subscribers and critics for the cancellation of many quality shows recently, including Six Feet Under, Deadwood and John From Cincinnati. All this means is that the odds of making two fucking Deadwood movies more likely than it was last year. Someone sober-up Calamity Jane. I can't wait.

One of the best things about Deadwood is that most of the characters are based on the people that resided in Deadwood at the time. Calamity Jane was a famous resident and Al Swearengen did indeed own a saloon and was even more ruthless in real life. George Hearst (William Randolph's father and Patty's great-grandfather also did prospecting there). Gerald McRaney makes one hell of a Hearst. Seth Bullock was from Etobicoke and was the sheriff and was friends with Sol. Wild Bill Hickock, Morgan and Wyatt Earp were all actual residents of Deadwood. Even the weasel hotel manager EB Farnum actually worked in Deadwood. The language is accurate for the times too - which makes for an often difficult night of TV - but some of the cuss words have been updated. Creator David Milch had to use substitutes since the Old West swear words don't have the same impact in the 21st century.

I think either History or Showcase is carrying the complete series in September, unedited. Keep in mind each episode ran around 50 minutes with some episodes well over an hour - all without commercial breaks, thus watching the show with commercials on History could be frustrating since the breaks will be easily 4 minutes long or longer depending if they want packaged episodes to run 90 minutes.

Edited by Guest