Jambands.ca

Are you ready...

Whitey

Yeah Whitey, you pick a team a week but once you take them you cant take them again the rest of the season. I can see if the work guys will let you in but we are down to the wire. I sit beside the Commish so when he is back in his office I will ask you. Its a ten buck entry and I think there is 40 people so far?

And Badams,

You are breaking one of my rules in Suicide Pools.

Dont take the road team.

EDIT TO ADD:

Check yer PM's Whitey!

The first year I went in (hundred dollar pool) I placed 7th out of 70 people. And do you know why? Because I was STUPID the week I got knocked out. I took Oakland because it was my only chance to take them. I had mapped out the entire season and changed that weeks pick at the last minute. I would have been knocked out a couple of weeks later though and that was around the time it ended.

The next year I went in it I placed 16thish out of 130 (yes, a 13000 dollar grand prize).

I do well in suicide pools but the kicker is the first couple of weeks because they are so unknown. That is when I really go by my rules like NO visiting teams and NO rival divisional matchups. I try and stay away from any divisional games as much as possible as well.

I do well in suicide pools but the kicker is the first couple of weeks because they are so unknown. That is when I really go by my rules like NO visiting teams and NO rival divisional matchups. I try and stay away from any divisional games as much as possible as well.

A serious question: Have you (ever) looked at past years' results to see if the rules (e.g., "NO visiting teams") work better than other strategies or rule-sets?

Aloha,

Brad

Have you (ever) looked at past years' results to see if the rules (e.g., "NO visiting teams") work better than other strategies or rule-sets?

Good question.

Yes and no. Not so much with how players have faired when they have won Suicide Pools. Obviously to win you need to pick one or two 'non-obvious' wins but you have to be smart, especially at the beginning of the season.......hence my DONT TAKE A VISITING TEAM call right now. Later in the season you have to "gamble"

I could very well get knocked out this week. Badams might. As both of us are alluding to, the first weeks are the toughest because teams have not gelled at all. This is not like hockey or soccer or basketball where 'improvisation' comes into play. Hopefully that analogy makes somewhat sense Brad.

Listen, I am certainly no guru but I have followed (bet) on the NFL for enough years to know what to do and what not to do. My biggest issue is that I sometimes play too safe which will leave me winning the 2nd or 3rd places monies.

But you know who typically wins this kinda stuff?

Newbies. Swear to God. They have no fear.