Jambands.ca

rights free photos and charities

h

ya, that subject got you curious eh

well it's nothing too exciting

I just started the 2 year Public Relations course at Algonquin. For next week I need 2 rights free pictures of teddy bears as we are holding a teddy bear raffle soon. I'm really rusty - any graphic designers have a site where I can find some bears?

I also need your suggestions for a charity we can hold a fundraiser for. Every year the class holds a major fundraiser and raises a wack of money for a charity. (like in x amount of years they've donated over 100,000 dollars or something crazy like that.)

So I need to pitch a charity to hold the benefit for. The rules say that they can't be controversial or biased and they have to have an Ottawa Office. Another consideration is that the charity should appeal to Algonquin students cuz it probably won't get picked as our charity if it doesn't. It also won't raise as much money and I guess each year really tries to top the last.

So tell me your favourite charities and I'll see if I can get a fundraiser set up for one of them.

Edited by Guest

Well, a friend of mine will be wrapping up a cross Canada roller blade journey to raise money for lung cancer. He has spent the last 4 months doing it and has raised like $40,000 through public donation only. Check out his site at

www.seetheend.com

Some amazing pictures, stories, stats and a TREMENDOUS effort by Rich!! Wraps up this Saturday in Vancouver for anyone in the area that might see this.

For a charity, I suggest The Ottawa Food Bank. I also found this free stock photography site, which has a bunch of teddy bears. (I'd check on the site to make sure exactly what you're allowed to do with the pictures, though.)

I used

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=royalty+free+pictures&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

to find that site; there may be others.

Aloha,

Brad

Thanks Brad. Thats a good one and I have found this one also http://www.morguefile.com/

I expect a lot of people will want to do the food bank - very noble - I just wanted to see if I could find something off the beaten path. Everyone submits one and then we vote. I know the food bank has been done in the past.

Bouche - Ya right you don't have a teddy bear - what about mr. winky?

SG - I will definitely check out your friend's site.

Edited by Guest

I feel obligated to suggest VSO - we're based in Ottawa but work in 34 developing countries across a range of development areas. We're not big and well-known, but we do really interesting and really progressive work in development. PM me if you want more details or visit www.vsocan.org

what's with the spooge stains on that bear Backbacon?

that's just where the fur is goign the other way from the rest of the fur. Probably from where my hand was placed when I picked it up to move it from my bed to that blanket... if you must know. dink! :)

Jeez... try to do something for charity and some bearless person gets all smart. :P

all excellent ideas - i will look into those charities - they tend to go for babies or puppy charities - i'm a little disappointed that they seem to want to beat the last year's total. So with that being the case - less 'sexy' charities will be overlooked in favour of making the most possible money. If you know what I mean.

oh... uh no, i don't think it will - sorry

I am trying to get this one

Cutest Teddy Bear

I have permission for this one - but i think its a commercial product

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cozymoments/1326428688/

but I would REALLY like to get this one - killer bear

When Good Teddy Bears Go Bad

All of the charities you've mentioned are great - I don't want to insult anyone because they really are worthy causes - but I think I'm going to look a little further into this one...

http://www.christielakekids.com/home/index_e.asp

I'll make sure there is not controversy with methods etc.

I like the idea of sending local underpriviledged kids to camp because I am a strong believer of camps and cottages etc. - nature - away from home - characterbuilding stuff etc.

As a bonus - i see one of their directors is the publisher of the Ottawa Citizen - I smell press coverage. ;)