Jambands.ca

Phish rhythm section checks out Levon

Kanada Kev

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070908/ENT04/70909015

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Phish rhythm section checks out Levon

Bass player Mike Gordon and drummer Jon Fishman, one-half of the now disbanded jam band Phish, were in Woodstock Saturday night for Levon Helm's Midnight Ramble, a house concert the former drummer for the Band stages on a semi-regular basis at his recording studio.

Fishman said he was in the Hudson Valley visiting a friend in New Paltz and asked his manager, who also represents Gordon, to make an inquiry about attending the Ramble.

Fishman and Gordon watched a portion of the Ramble from a raised viewing area behind the Levon Helm Band. Gordon stayed there for most of the night but Fishman ventured out to the second-floor of Levon Helm Studios, where the audience sat, for a bird's-eye view of Helm's drumming technique.

Asked what he thought of the Ramble and seeing Helm play, Fishman flashed a wide smile and said, "Oh my God." Neither of the former Phish members performed at the Ramble.

Gordon and Fishman, who along with guitarist Trey Anastasio and keyboard player Page McConnell comprised one of rock 'n roll's most popular touring bands ever, became the latest musical luminaries to perform at a Ramble with Helm, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

On Aug. 25, bluegrass mandolin picker Ricky Skaggs sat in with the Levon Helm Band and on June 2, Gillian Welch and the Levon Helm Band played a rousing version of Johnny and June Carter Cash's "Jackson." In the past, Danny Louis of Gov't Mule, Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris and Donald Fagen of Steely Dan have showed up to the Ramble and sat in with the Levon Helm Band.

Fishman and Gordon's attendance at the Ramble Saturday night marked yet another link between Phish and Woodstock.

Phish recorded albums at Bearsville Studios in Woodstock and while in town, band members hung out at the old Tinker Street Cafe and Pine Crest Lodge, two Woodstock bars. Gordon told the Journal in 2002 that Anastasio modeled his Vermont recording studio, known as "The Barn," after Bearsville Studios.

Also, during Phish's hiatus in October 2002, two months before the band's much anticipated reunion show at Madison Square Garden, Gordon and Anastasio played a surprise performance together at Allaire Studios in Shokan, during a Woodstock Film Festival party.

Helm's next Ramble is set for Sept. 29, when a Kid's Ramble will be held during the day and a traditional Ramble will be held at night. To read about the Ramble and former Bob Dylan sideman Larry Campbell, a member of the Levon Helm Band, click on the link to the right.

Also, Helm's first new album in more than a decade, "Dirt Farmer," comes out Oct. 30.

That sounds wicked. Everything I've read says that the events are pretty special. I really wished I could've checked one out this past summer, but I just couldn't bring myself to fork over the two hundred bones to get in. If I had that kind of dough to spend on a ticket for any one show, it would've been a ramble, but it just wasn't a reality for me.

Also, not to be overly nit-picky, but I found this a little funny:

Asked what he thought of the Ramble and seeing Helm play, Fishman flashed a wide smile and said, "Oh my God." Neither of the former Phish members performed at the Ramble.

Gordon and Fishman, who along with guitarist Trey Anastasio and keyboard player Page McConnell comprised one of rock 'n roll's most popular touring bands ever, became the latest musical luminaries to perform at a Ramble with Helm, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Oops.

My friend Ian went down to Nashville to see the Ramble on tour at the one and only Ryman Auditorium back in July. He was going to do a write-up on it but never got around to it. Anyway, there were a huuuuuge list of guests:

Emmylou Harris

Buddy Miller

Sam Bush

Sheryl Crow

John Hiatt

Ricky Skaggs

Lee Roy Parnell

Little Sammy Davis

Fred Carter Jr.

I really hope to go to one of the Rambles in the next 6 months or so.