Jambands.ca

It's Official - Firefly: The Movie

Jaimoe

I thought the movie was great, but obviously the series was better. There was more time for character development. For me, it was the characters that made the show, more than the story.

If someone saw Serenity without seeing Firefly, Inara's character would be meaningless. She was pretty worthless in the movie. Her grace, diplomacy and heck, even career (which is so interesting and so much a part of her) was barely touched on.

I thought Jayne's character in the movie wasn't tough or funny as he is in the series, he was pretty much just there. Barely memorable.

Kaylee's genious for mechanics and passion for the ship weren't really conveyed. She was just in the movie to be a love interest to the doc.

I did think however that Mal and River really developed as characters in Serenity. Even though River's character was so different from Firefly, I really, really liked it. Much better than the series actually.

Good movie, overall. I know it sounds like I didn't like it, but I did. I just prefer the personalities we got to see in the series and didn't appreciate them being ignored or tampered with.

• 7 months later...

Archived