Jambands.ca

It's Official - Firefly: The Movie

Jaimoe

I can't wait. The best new series ( cancelled ) of last year is now being made into a movie.

Here's The Hollywood Reporter article:

'Firefly' lands in film afterlife

Joss Whedon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Zorianna Kit and Chris Gardner

The short-lived TV series "Firefly" is moving to the big screen. After taking his "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" feature film and turning it into a successful TV series, Joss Whedon is about to do the reverse with another one of his creations. Whedon has teamed with Universal Pictures to turn "Firefly," a TV cult favorite, into a feature film.

In addition to having adapted it for the big screen, Whedon will also make his feature directorial debut with the project. Plans are to see "Firefly" go into production in first-quarter 2004.

Universal recently acquired the rights to "Firefly" from 20th Century Fox Television, where Whedon's Mutant Enemy Inc. production company has a television deal.

The action-adventure series was set 500 years in the future and centered on a crew aboard a spaceship. The feature version will incorporate the mythology from the show but will take on a more epic feel. Whedon hopes to enlist the entire cast to come back for the feature, depending on their previous commitments, with new characters added as well.

Whedon is producing the film through his Mutant Enemy Inc. along with studio-based producer Barry Mendell. Mendell, a former agent at UTA, used to represent Whedon. Mutant Enemy president Christopher Buchanan is executive producing. Universal production president Mary Parent is shepherding the project.

"Ever since the show went off the air, our fan base has grown even more," Buchanan said. "We've had tremendous outpouring from the U.S. and Canada as well as the U.K., which just finished a run of 'Firefly' over there. Every comic book and sci-fi convention has had a 'Firefly' presence since the show first aired."

For the series, which ran this past season, Whedon produced 15 hours of television, including a two-hour episode. Three shows never aired on Fox but will likely be featured on the series' DVD release, due out in December. Buchanan said fans created such a demand that DVD presales on Amazon.com sold out within 24 hours.

Whedon, repped by CAA, continues to be executive producer of "Angel," which he created. His feature film screenplay credits include "Titan A.E.," "Alien: Resurrection" and "Toy Story."

• 4 years later...

Sadly, we just finished Firefly. Now I have to go find Serenity, Collectors edition at FS tonight. I'd like to save it for friday night viewing, but it may be tough not to crack it open.

Firefly was one of the best series I've seen and the untold story would have probably made the best series ever.

I can't believe how much I miss the show already. I watched the documentary included and I can't believe how much FOX butchered the continuity by not airing the real 2 hour pilot at the start. That was a great fuckin' episode.

Firefly was one of the best series I've seen and the untold story would have probably made the best series ever.

I can't believe how much I miss the show already.

Damn right! I love that show, still watch the DVD's from time to time.....love the mix of space, western, and a little comedy thrown in! perfect!

Mike, you should be able to buy Serenity very cheap, like under $10. Look around. HMV had it really cheap in the fall.

I want the collectors edition for the bonus DVD. It's at FS for $21.99 which isn't bad, but the entire series cost me $24.99 so that's a little out of wack.

Andre IS Nathan Fillion!!!!

have another one.

The matrix was probably the single best movie experience i have had. I can't add star wars because when I first saw it at a drive in I was too young to really get it and I fell asleep before the Death Star was destroyed.

The day I walked out of the matinee in smiths falls for the Matrix, I was shell shocked. The following 2 just pissed me off. ms.Hux fell asleep in #3 and I said she didn't need to bother watching what she missed. She didn't miss anything.

I've got to watch Firefly at some point. We just finished season 3 of Buffy - just 4 more to go! (I've got the entire series on DVD.) So, it may take some time b4 we're ready for Firefly. It's tough to even get an episode of Buffy a week in, sometimes. Someone suggested that we'd like it if we also like Buffy.

It might have been me. Also Angel is just as good as Buffy. BTW, all three series were written, conceived and produced by Joss Weadon.

I've got to watch Firefly at some point. We just finished season 3 of Buffy - just 4 more to go! (I've got the entire series on DVD.) So' date=' it may take some time b4 we're ready for Firefly. It's tough to even get an episode of Buffy a week in, sometimes. Someone suggested that we'd like it if we also like Buffy. [/quote']

It might have been me. Also Angel is just as good as Buffy. BTW, all three series were written, conceived and produced by Joss Weadon.

It was actually a friend of my wife. I've heard that Angel is not as good as Buffy.

Have you been reading Buffy season 8 which has been coming out as comic books (or is it graphic novels?). It's supposed to be quite good.

I was actually surprised that I liked Buffy. I stumbled upon a rerun several years ago on Space and got hooked. Got my wife to watch and she got hooked as well. We started watching during season 5, I think. Space used to show it daily. When they stopped we decided to get the series on DVD and start at the beginning. It is a really well done show with great characters and great writing. Good combination of serious and humour. It reminds me a lot of the X Files. You've got the overarching arc, and standalone episodes. Many of the standalones could have easily been X-Files eps. Like the one where the hot new teacher is actually a giant praying mantis and is having sex with, and killing, the male students. And then you've got the arc centering around Sunnydale being on top of a Hellmouth which is the cause of lots of trouble involving demons, vampires, and the like.

The musical episode was very cool.

Hey BWM, calling Angel not as good as Buffy is probably true for many Wheadon fans, but it's still an excellent show and required viewing for all Buffy fans. It's darker than Buffy and the supporting cast, especially when they add Spike in later years, was excellent. Plus there's some cross-over archs/characters with Buffy: watcher Wesley and Cordelia are Angel cast members as is Spike. Evil vampire Darla (played by Dexter's Julie Benz) is in many Angel episodes. So is Harmony, Faith, Drusilla, Buffy and Willow (both in three big episodes). I watched Angel after I finished with Buffy and am really glad I did. It was really addictive.

Mike, some of the early Buffy episodes will feel dated, but once you get over that and the show matures (keep in mind Wheadon never thought the show would last longer than a season), then look out. One of my favourite cult shows ever.

Firefly and Serenity are fucking awesome! I can't believe it was canceled. At least they got a movie out of it!

Funny, we are currently rocking season 6 of Buffy, actually just watched the musical episode "once more with feeling" last night. hilarious. I love how there are always String Cheese and Panic posters around the sets. I agree "Hush" is hands down one of the best episodes. So creeeepy.

Also currently rocking Angel Season 2. Angel was a great series, and the later seasons were definitely better than the later seasons of buffy.

The Buffy season 8 comics are pretty good if you like that sort of thing. A bit short though.

Go Joss Go!

The movie is in hand. I'm as excited to see this as I was when Return of the Jedi came out, which I was extremely excited to see. I'm not kidding. How did this show affect me so easily?

I'm going to look at getting my hands on Buffy if you guys aren't shitting me. I think I've become a Joss Wheadon fan in record time.

Serenity is a nice way to end the series. A very good lower-budget sci-fi film. The Brownshirts (fanatical fans of Firefly) did a great job supporting the series and relentlessly demanding a movie... and it worked. It's far more honest and satisfying than most big budget and over-hyped genre flicks of the past 5 years.

Archived