Jambands.ca

Ween... some thoughts...

Good times for sure.

After tailgating in the rain for a bit, meeting some skanks and unloading the plethora of extras I found myself with, I made it in with moments to spare. I grabbed two Kokanees and headed for the front. I bobbed and weaved gracefully through the sea of fans, which translates to me knocking a few people over and spilling schwilly beer all over them.

The band stepped on stage and I stopped where I was and stood my ground. Apparently my ground happened to be in front of an irate 5 foot nothing ween demon spouting off tails of "boognish this" and "you're so tall I can't see" that. As I adjusted my positioning for vision purposes I felt the back spray of a full drink being thrown on the guy that was standing where I had just moved from. Poor guy, but hey, its a ween concert, anything goes....

All in all it was the best ween show I've seen but definitely at a venue they do not fit in. I thought the sound was great though.

I love how the hippy haters stood there in awe as Ween barreled through tunes like Voodoo Lady, Frank and Woman and Man while the hippies grooved away.

The songs they played off of the new album were awesome, I went in wanting to hear Your Party, My Own Bare Hands and Woman and Man and I got exactly that.

The Lauzon show at Dominion was fun for sure, way to hard to get a beer though and no Kokanee. Good to see a lot of folks that I hadn't seen for a long time too, Gateaux Stapes Velvet and the mustache pullers seem to stand out the most for some reason though.

Good times for sure.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the highlight of the show for me was hanging out with all you freaks. :) which is good, because my visual expanse consisted mainly of the backs of your heads. i HATE that venue. (i will say though, that even though i couldn't see a damn thing, being at the back with y'all was WAY more fun than when i was right up front in spitting distance of the band & surrounded by a bunch of smelly weirdos.).

overall, i was pretty love/hate with that crowd. i loved all the people i knew, and i actually had a number of awesome encounters with totally random strangers and that's always fun, but there were also a bunch of faces i thought could really use a punch. toronto is probably my LEAST favourite place to see shows, ween included, but i will say the ween crowd is marginally more fun than the usual toronto fare. i was SOOOOOOOOOO happy no dipshits were throwing shit at the band this time. i guess there was some of that going on in detroit. what is the matter with people?!

the lack of suitable venue problem is a real one, and it sucks because ween in an arena type venue would be odd. i think the main reason toronto ween shows are so huge compared to some of the other ones, is that a) toronto is the only place they really come in all of ontario, and B) they only come up here what, once every 4 years or so? that's a lot of rabid fans to accommodate in one night.

overall, a great time. i was totally happy with the setlist, and although i was disappointed they ran out of merch, i'm happy they sold enough to! this ween show was unlike any i've ever seen, mainly due to the fact i hardly got to see the band at all, and usually i spend the whole show unable to tear my eyes away. the best part of the show for me, was all of you. so thanks to all of you who came out, you made my night!