Jambands.ca

Astbury claims Cult will open for Zep in 2008

hamilton

Cult front man dishes on Zep tour

November 22, 2007

Not only is Led Zeppelin going back on the road in 2008, but they've selected the Cult as their opening act. That's according to Cult front man Ian Astbury, who blabbed the news Saturday during a show in Cincinnati.

According to an MTV.com report, Astbury told the crowd, "We'll be back next year because we're opening for a band you may have heard of ... the name starts with an 'L' and has a 'Z' in it.'' After a fan shouted, "Led Zeppelin," Astbury nodded and raised his arm in the air.

A spokesperson for the Cult had no comment on Astbury's remarks. A Led Zeppelin spokesperson could not be reached at deadline.

However, there is growing speculation that Zeppelin, who will perform a one-off Dec. 10 show in London in tribute to the late rock 'n` roll icon Ahmet Ertegun, will indeed tour next year, with or without the Cult.

It is understood that conversations have already taken place to gauge the willingness of surviving bandmates Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones to hit the road, and there are unconfirmed reports that U.S. venues have already been approached about holding summer dates.

Link

Edited by Guest
added link

Can't say as I'm excited about this ... I liked The Cult for about a month when I was 16, then I got bored.

I would have thought Zep to be wise enough to get someone either younger or in need of the exposure to open up for them. The Cult is just such a boring, pointless choice.

My vote is for the Constantines or Golden Dogs. Or Phish.