Jambands.ca

The great pacific garbage patch. (Twice the size of Texas!)

The Chameleon

we should take all the garbage on the planet and compress as small as possible, load it onto the space shuttle and send it hurtling off into oblivion.

it'd make more sense than experiments to see how ants behave in zero gravity. although i suppose the experiment could be lablled "How garbage, rats and other gross shit is affected by zero gravity".

Why are there no satellite pictures of the mass?

there are pictures of the oceans, but they're not updated regularly and they're not all that accurate or informative (in my experience - i'm no expert in oceanography or anything though)

i can't answer definitively, but most commercial imaging satellites do not take pictures of ocean as there is no way to locate the image, and most of the time it's just, well, water - there is no commercial reason to take pictures of water. imagine you're standing on a beach. you take a picture straight down at the sand. now try to place that image correctly on the whole beach.

i bet NOAA has some satellites that are looking into this kind of thing, but if there are no commercial images, my answer above is logical. (i have no knowledge of this case though)

The wikepedia link refutes your thread title BTW.

Texas = 678 000 km2

North Pacific Gyre = 34 000 000 km2

So if the North Pacific Gyre (a natural phenomena) is the complete "Pacific Garbage Patch" it is 50 times the size of Texas. edit - see below - garbage patch isn't the whole Gyre.

Some sources [san Fran Chronicle] have incorrectly reported that there is a "floating continent" of debris that is roughly twice the size of Texas, however no scientific investigation, including Moore's, has verified this.

So I guess that means the garbage patch isn't the whole area. Anyways, I'll leave the figures above to provide scale.

Edited by Guest
factamatrons

its like we've given the planet a giant cancerous tumor. seriously disturbing. just like they say in that article above, we will basically all be consuming that trash in one way or another as it works it's way up the food chain eventually ending up in my fishsticks.

we should take all the garbage on the planet and compress as small as possible, load it onto the space shuttle and send it hurtling off into oblivion.

it'd make more sense than experiments to see how ants behave in zero gravity. although i suppose the experiment could be lablled "How garbage, rats and other gross shit is affected by zero gravity".

You mean like this?

01acv08_017.jpg

01acv08_020.jpg

01acv08_036.jpg

It'll just come crashing back in the year 3000....

that really hurts..... we are slowly killing ourselves with the way we live everyday. The thing that gets me is we think we are so separate from it... All of that shit is just going to get into our bodies and kill us...

arg it's so frustrating that it feels like there is really nothing you can do about it.. everything I do is just contributing to the death of the earth...

K I am being very negetive here and I'm sure there is some way to slove it.. but it just seems like everything is going in the wrong direction..

when will we stop and see what we've done??

..morning rant is now complete... :P

the lack of pictures available of this is making me somewhat skeptical, although I really dont doubt it exists but I wonder if the actual size is true. I could also understand a certain level of cover up as being possible but still, where are the pictures?

EDIT: Okay, i now beleive that when the gyre is refered to as twice the size of texas they really mean that a section of ocean that size is polluted, not that there is somekind of massive island of garbage twice the size of texas floating around out there (which is what it came across as to me). still disturbing, heres a vid:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3892310789953943147

Edited by Guest